I'm a klutz!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I want to preface this by saying, for those who don't know me, that I block a lot of sun. I make small spaces real small!!

My shop is 16x24 but I have crammed every tool you can imagine into that space. Of course, it's tight. I was working on my table saw and grazed my leg on something. Didn't think anything of it. That was last Saturday and today I am still fighting a full blown infection in my leg. I know, no pictures, didn't happen. Believe me, you don't want to see.

Anyway, my reason for posting. Alot of us are greying (how's that for not calling us old) and we have various maladies. I am diabetic and I know better than to ignore cuts and scratches. Well, I ignored this one and it ain't pretty.

The moral of this story is: Take care of yourself today so there will be a tomorrow!!!

T

toolferone

It is amazing how often I cut myself and don't even realize it until later. Yup, let's be carefull out there.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Geoff, you don't block a lot of sun, you're just big-tooled. Sorry to hear about your leg mishap, it's easy to get careless. I know that in this crowd I'm considered to be a young wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper, but I've noticed I don't heal quite as fast as I used to when I was 23. Every cut, scrape, splinter and bruise now lasts days if not weeks. So your advice is good for everyone, not just those graying.

Those under 25 can stop smirking now.

Hope your leg gets better soon. If not, dibs on your tools :rolf:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Hope you get all healed up in a hurry. Infections are normally painful no matter where they are.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
From the guy that is still typing with one hand while recovering from sticking his hand in a running planner, I feel your pain!!

cptully

New User
Chris
At 37 I can't quite smirk, but a few comments on wound healing from my graduate studies in biomaterials, anyway.

In a normal healthy adult, a simple scratch or cut should heal to the point of new (pink) skin in 7-10 days. I would swear that in my younger days they healed faster than that but I suspect that it was more a matter of not really tracking each scratch, since I spent so much time running in the woods that I invariably had a few new ones every day or three...

If you find that scratches are taking significantly longer than 10 days to heal, and do not already know why it is well worth seeking advice from your physician. Geoff's diabetes is very likely a contributing factor to the infection of his scratch. Keep in mind that autoimmune diseases (rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, etc) often do have similar effects.

Geoff, as one who's LOM fully expects that I will never complete any significant project with out needing at least one band aid, I feel your pain and wish you a speedy recovery!

Chris Tully
Klutzes of the world unite! :rotflm:

Geoff, you don't block a lot of sun, you're just big-tooled. Sorry to hear about your leg mishap, it's easy to get careless. I know that in this crowd I'm considered to be a young wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper, but I've noticed I don't heal quite as fast as I used to when I was 23. Every cut, scrape, splinter and bruise now lasts days if not weeks. So your advice is good for everyone, not just those graying.

Those under 25 can stop smirking now.

Hope your leg gets better soon. If not, dibs on your tools :rolf:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Klutzes of the world unite! :rotflm:
Where do I sign up?
I average 1-2 dings a day and don't realize until LOML or friends comment: "What did you do to your _______ ?" :crossedlips:

Any chance we could get volume discounts on polysporin :5question

Hope all goes well, Geoff :icon_thum
Roger

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Sorry about the injury big guy! I sure hope you get better soon. It's always the times you get "grazed" that hurt the worst/cause the most problems.

Marco

wayne

New User
wayne
Geoff

I have worked around sheet metal all my life and even when I was younger I noticed that the simple scrapes would get inflamed some when left unattended.I got in the habit of applying alcohol and some type of ointment on the scrape regardless of how minor and it really made a difference in soreness.Nothing any nastier then a scrape in a shop environment regardless of what did the scraping,being diabetic can't help.
Hope the infection heals quickly.

Wayne

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Geoff,
Man I hate to hear that. Please take care of yourself.(Scratched) my leg a few years ago.I was moving galvinized air duct and bumped my shin.I didn't think nothing of it:no:.But a few weeks down the road it was beet red and twice the size:eek:.And hurt like h@%^& if you know what I mean.And I don't have diabetes. It put me out of work and off my feet for a month:cry_smile. So please be careful! With the heat the way it is bacteria can grow like wildfire.:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS