IDing a funny No 3 plane

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
I recently picked up a little No 3 plane to give to my niece. My No 3 is probably my favorite, and she is very seriously into wood shop in school, so I thought it would be just about her speed, once I teach her to sharpen the blade.

I knew that the plane had had some work done: the tote and knob aren’t rosewood (at least not like any I’ve ever seen), and the lateral adjustment lever does not appear to be Stanley issue. The body, however, bears the indications of a type 11-12 Stanley plane (3 patent dates, Bailey name, etc.).

What I didn’t notice until I had the plane apart is that it does not have a frog adjustment screw, unlike any Stanley-branded plane I’ve seen that was manufactured in the last 100+ years. The frog lacks a spot to screw in the frog clip, which together with the unusual lateral adjuster led me to think that the frog is not Stanley-branded.

More surprising, though, is the the body is not drilled to accept a frog adjustment screw either, in spite of the typical Stanley markings.

Both the body and frog are the right shape to accept a frog clip and adjust screw, but haven’t been tapped to actually take them.

Has anyone encountered a plane like this? Did Stanley actually produce a type 11-12 plane under its own brand without the frog adjuster? Or is this some kind of oddball that was made to look like a Stanley-Bailey plane, right down to the markings and patent dates?

The plane was inexpensive, and should make a nice user once I have it cleaned up and back together, but I’m still curious about it’s heritage!

Attachments

• IMG_8922.jpeg
    IMG_8922.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8925.jpeg
    IMG_8925.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8926.jpeg
    IMG_8926.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8927.jpeg
    IMG_8927.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8924.jpeg
    IMG_8924.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 67

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
That appears to be a "Frankenstanley" with a late Type 10/early Type 11 body, while the frog, tote, and knob came from a different No. 3 sized plane

Last edited:

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
Thanks, Matt.

I was thinking along similar lines, but have never seen a type 10 or 11 without a frog adjustment screw… granted, I’ve not seen a huge number of examples of either type!

Aaron

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I forgot the frog adjustment was added at type 10.

Found the following unanswered question on a 2002 FW forum post:
"I have noticed in shopping for planes that a lot of old Stanley bench planes don’t have a frog adjustment screw. These planes that I would otherwise be interested in appear to be identical to a type 11 but for the missing screw (no threaded hole either)."​
Stanley removed the frog adjustment screw during WW2, maybe they did the same after we entered WW1.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS