Idea Time, Input Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
:eusa_thinOkay, it's getting time for me to head out and fell a few trees this winter. Right now, I have a couple of what I'm sure will be Ambrosia Maples, two standing-dead Oaks, one Walnut on the ground and another standing live that I've been given to cut down.:eusa_danc When I'm going to take down what I'm not sure:dontknow: but ALL of them are coming down this winter. What I'm asking here is a couple of things.

First, knowing that a bunch of you guys are into the spinny stuff, if you think you may be interested in any of my "culls" drop me a PM and I'll put you on my list. Keep in mind "my" culls normally amount to some pretty sizable chunks of wood. I build log and stump tables so pretty much anything under about 12 to 13 inches dia. is no good to me. Also, the pieces I have to cut off/out that don't look like a table, I seldom use for anything but burning.:confused_ Sometimes I do run across a burl or two and I generally try to save them for you burl fans if I can.

Next, I'm planning to try to do a better:slap: job of planning this year and do a photo story from beginning to end on one or more projects. Any ideas as to what you folks may want to see and/or hear about in my process, let me know and I'll add that to my list. (me and my "lists" of stuff to do) It generally takes about 12 to 18 months from dropping the tree to finished product, dependent on wood type and my ancient behind getting down to business with it.:saw:

Finally, for you folks wanting a shot at millable logs for lumber, someone needs to give me pretty specific info and length, diameter, etc. what ya gotta have for the sawyer. I'll do my best to see that everything is divided up as evenly as I can across all of you. I'll post pics of what will be available and ya'll can make your own decisions. :eek:ccasion1

Main concern here is I'm not really able to transport much of anything. No trailer, no big rig to haul it on, so you're gonna have to do yer own fetching and/or PE runs.:sad11: I'll help as much as I can with the toting and loading but elbow grease and cheering you on is about all I can do. I met some great guys through here last winter and all of you seemed to have been real happy with the wood you got. I don't have to pay for any of the trees I cut so I can't feel very right charging for wood if you come and get it. If we get some good will out of it and I get a piece or two of lumber or some little hand made item in return, we're all winners in my book.:eek:ccasion1:eusa_danc

mxracer

New User
Dan
David,

I'll be the first to jump in here on the millable logs part. I would be more than happy to lend a hand felling, hauling, and whatever you might need help with and work out some type of deal for a little bit of the spoils. I am also in Lincolnton, have a tractor, dump truck, John Deere loader, and access to a couple of trailers for any of the equipment. (Although I'd need to run down and get a tag back on the dump if we'd need the loader hauled, didn't use it much this year and let it go :nah:) Also happy to throw some of the lumber back you way as well. I don't have a band mill but do have access to a circular mill, which is where I get my lumber so that's all in the cards as well if you are interested.

Even if there were no millable logs or you used all of it I'd still be happy to help where I can. I enjoy that kind of work and I'm happy to just lend a hand.

Dan

Dragon

New User
David
Hey, are you married and do you cook and clean?:banana: :rolf: :banana:Seriously, where were you last year when I and couple of others on here were muscling logs out of the woods by hand? (Mostly the others as I'm lucky to go a buck fifty after a good meal with all my clothes on.) I will definitely give you shout when I start busting wood. I'm near Boger City off Shuford Rd. Right now, I'm not sure where the Walnut stuff is but I'm fairly sure it's within close driving distance. The others mentioned in my post are right here in my own backyard. Shoot me a PM and we can meet up and you can look over what what I'm up against. Many thanks for the response.:eusa_clap

David,

I'll be the first to jump in here on the millable logs part. I would be more than happy to lend a hand felling, hauling, and whatever you might need help with and work out some type of deal for a little bit of the spoils. I am also in Lincolnton, have a tractor, dump truck, John Deere loader, and access to a couple of trailers for any of the equipment. (Although I'd need to run down and get a tag back on the dump if we'd need the loader hauled, didn't use it much this year and let it go :nah:) Also happy to throw some of the lumber back you way as well. I don't have a band mill but do have access to a circular mill, which is where I get my lumber so that's all in the cards as well if you are interested.

Even if there were no millable logs or you used all of it I'd still be happy to help where I can. I enjoy that kind of work and I'm happy to just lend a hand.

Dan

Dragon

New User
David
Hey David you know I'm in:icon_thum.And I may have a deal for you.:wink_smilGive me a ring sometime.

Man, I just can't seem to find the time:BangHead: to get loose long enough to get over your way and check out that firewood guy. I'll call you in the next day or so.

mxracer

New User
Dan
Hey David you know I'm in:icon_thum.And I may have a deal for you.:wink_smilGive me a ring sometime.

Hey Robert,

I haven't forgotten about you either. :embaresse We just haven't been doing much sawing lately, in fact we haven't had a log on the mill since I posted that video. This might be a good op to check the mill out as well :icon_thum

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS