I need someone to do a small lathe job

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I need an oak cylinder turned 1.5" diameter and 5" long with reduced diameter at the ends according to the rough sketch attached. Must be near Durham. My usual sources for dowels (Lowes and Rockler) don't have 1.5" stock so I will deliver the rough square stock to you according to what you need to turn it. Let me know if you can do this and what you charge.

IMG_0196a.jpg

awldune

Sam
User
Bob, you could probably offer wood as a payment option-- I bet some of us would be more interested in your lumber than in the $20 or whatever a fair price would be for this job.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
...and you know I owe you some too! I'm always available after work and weekends! Or if you'd prefer, I'd be happy to let you do the turning with my guidance!

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Wow! 3 offers. This is a great forum and people.
I decided to go with Melinapex because he is so much closer to me.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Mark (Melinapex) aced it for me. I took the stock to him and he turned it while I waited! Thanks again.

I used this wooden cylinder to repair a tilting umbrella whose pivoting elbow was damaged in a storm. (Another story). The umbrella was less than a year old and could still be a good non-tilting one if I could replace the elbow with a rigid section. That's where the oak cylinder idea came in. It took a little effort and several tries but I was able to rethread the raising-and-lowering rope and attach to the hand crank. When the epoxy bond between the oak part and steel pole cures I will do the final test. C-clamps and aluminum angle keep parts aligned while curing.

Attachments

• IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 98

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
All works well. See pics.
The supplier of the umbrella (Abba Patio) sent us a replacement so I have offered the old one to neighbors but so far no takers. Any NCWWs want it? Free.

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 77

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mark (Melinapex) aced it for me. I took the stock to him and he turned it while I waited! Thanks again.

I used this wooden cylinder to repair a tilting umbrella whose pivoting elbow was damaged in a storm. (Another story). The umbrella was less than a year old and could still be a good non-tilting one if I could replace the elbow with a rigid section. That's where the oak cylinder idea came in. It took a little effort and several tries but I was able to rethread the raising-and-lowering rope and attach to the hand crank. When the epoxy bond between the oak part and steel pole cures I will do the final test. C-clamps and aluminum angle keep parts aligned while curing.
That is GREAT!
(Nice save!)
Is that a Jubilee in the background? N-I-C-E!!!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS