I need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Suggestions needed! I am currently working on a mantle clock for my sister. I need some suggestions on how to cut the "windows" out of the side panels. The windows will then be routed to get a nice look on against the glass. I need some suggestion on how to make these 2 cuts ( 1 on each side ). Keeping in mind that the router bit will follow the bit and really show off any cuts that are not exactally square? ( Does that make sense? ) I'm glad to give more details if needed. Also, this cut needs to be done with a jigsaw...
( All I have to do this cut with ). I thought of making some sort of jig out of hardboard, and maybe routing the cut with a pattern bit. Like I said, I'm looking for suggestions...

if it helps to visualize the little windows I am trying to cut out... here is the clock I am making.

http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-37__sku-BBBBW.html

- clay

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay, in my opinion there are two good ways to go about this but all require good accuracy. You could cut out the opening with a jig saw just proud of the line, and carefully sand to the line. Or you could make a template like you mentioned. That would give you greater uniformity in your openings, but would require that your template be shaped exactly how the opening should be shaped. Hardboard or thin MDF will be easier to shape to the final size. You will need to be careful in lining up your template and anchoring it to the work piece. But that is the best way to go IMO. Plus if you ever want to make the clock again, you've already made the template. My .02 Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
You could use a forstner bit to cut out the arc, and use that as a starting point for you jigsaw. You should be able to true up the straight lines with a little bit of careful work using a rasp/file. As long as it's straight, the roundover bit should smooth it out, I would think. Or do the careful hand work/shaping on a hardboard template as you were thinking. Or, if you have a table saw, rip the board into 3 pieces, cut out the center window, and then glue the panel back up. As long as the grain is fairly straight you shouldn't see the glue line.

Anyway, those are my ideas... let us see the final product!

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Interesting thought on the splitting it up to 3 pieces. I like that idea. I think the template from hardboard is winning in my mind so far. If that fails, I think the 3 pieces would be 2nd best thus far....

I guess this topic will still be up for suggestions till this weekend ( when I actually make the pieces..

- clay

Monty

New User
Monty
Of course, if you do that (the ripping thing), you'll need to make sure your rough panel is AT LEAST 1/4" oversize to account for the kerf width. Otherwise, you won't be happy with the result! 8-O ;-) I'm sure you know that, but I would feel bad if you ripped up your workpiece without considering this!

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I would agree with the template suggestion, that way any mistakes are made on hardboard or MDF, not your good wood. I typically use double sided carpet tape to anchor templates but have found that folding the tape in half to double the thickness gives a better hold. I've had templates slip a little with a single layer but never had a problem with it doubled.

Steve D

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Update.. I made a pattern out of 1/4 hardboard, then screwed it to an oversized piece of wood. Then uses a pattern bit in the router. The window looks great. Thanks guys

DavidF

New User
David
Just a quick note - I got horribly caught out the other week when using 1/8 hardboard as a router template. The edge was too soft and the bearing of the router formed a dip if I put a bit too much pressure on the piece to ensure good contact with the bearing - the result was a dip in the profiled edge. 1/4 mdf is probably better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS