Hybrid (????) Table Saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
I'm curious about hybrid saws. I have a 1985 Delta Contractor Saw that has given me many, many lineal feet of outstanding use. But, it may be time to move up to something new. I'm sort of waiting for the Contractor Saw Stop but I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever come to pass.

That said, as I have casually looked around I have become convinced that there is no standard definition for a "hybrid" table saw. As one who goes back to a 1960's Unisaw with some years as an assembler/mechanic of power tools for a large distributor, all I have concluded it that "hybrid" saws are less robust overall but there are no consistant mechanical characteristics that can define a "hybrid" saw. The labeling of a saw as a "hybrid" seems to be mostly marketing rather than something meaningful.

Just wondering what others though about this issue and what are understood to be the characteristics that define a hybrid saw.

DavidF

New User
David
I tend to think these days a cabinet saw has come to mean a fully enclosed base cabinet and a 5hp motor. My Dewalt "Hybrid" is as close to a cabinet saw in terms of table top construction. fence, dust collection etc, but has an open base and "only" 1 3/4 hp, so is a Hybrid.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Here's my understanding:
- A contractor saw has a motor hanging out the back and runs on 110V
- A cabinet saw has the motor inside a cabinet and runs on 220V
- A hybrid saw has the motor inside a cabinet and runs on 110V

Of course, this is a gross simplification, but that's where the hybridity comes from (yes folks, hybridity is a real word :)): Form factor and voltage.

Some hybrid saws have the trunnions mounted to the cabinet (like a cabinet saw), others have them mounted to the table (like a contractor saw). Also, I've rewired my hybrid saw to 220V, but that doesn't make it a cabinet saw (HP is the real differentiator - with 110V you can't get above 2HP on a 20A circuit).

In general, hybrids are more stable/ solid than contractor saws, and the enclosed cabinet provides better dust collection. In general, contractor saws are meant to be portable. But there are lots of examples that make these statements guidelines, not rules.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Everybody seems to think that the "hybrid saws" are something new, but they are not. The Delta 36-755 in their 1998/1999 catalog is a "hybrid saw". It was called a "tilting arbor saw". Unfortunately the selling price was too close to that of a similarly equipted Uni. It was a marketing failure. Then the manufacturing moved off shore. Now it is a different story. Howard, is there anything that you just don't like about your contractor saw, or have you caught "Wood Guy" stuff? You may be like me- I just had to have a Forrest WWII. After I got two, I realized that I was already getting as good cuts using my existing blades. But I had to have one! One has never been on the saw, and the other hasn't seen an arbor since Forrest fixed it.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I tend to agree with you. The definition is inconsistent overall. One thing that seems to be consistent is that they are less than 3 HP. Trunnions, tops, etc. vary by manufacturer.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Hybrid means that you get some of the best of both types of saws. You basically get a contractor's saw in a cabinets saw clothes. Main thing is it has a cabinet base, and the motor is inside the base.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Howard, Have you thought about converting your contractor's saw to a hybrid? You would have to build a cabinet, and reverse the motor mounting bracket. Because everything hangs from the table top this shouldn't be too difficult. The rotation of the motor would also have to be reversed,and a shorter belt purchased. I've thought about it a couple times. Might be an excuse (if you need one) to buy another older contractor's saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS