hvlp spray gun recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasjzl

New User
Jim
Hi, I am looking around for an hlvp spray gun somewhere in the range of 80 to 150 dollars. I am spraying shellac and lacquer mostly on refinished furniture. It would be nice to be able to do some light painting with it but by far my primary use will be for spraying clear finishes. It's been about 30 years since I sprayed and it was using about 25 to 30 pounds in an old school siphon fed 1 quart gun(s). I just started reading about hvlp and was very interested in saving finish product and a little bit of our Raliegh/Durham air quality. I bought a 100 dollar gun at Lowes and while I was very happy and impressed with the spray characteristics, as in much less over spray and a better defined spray pattern, I could not use it because of drips from the gravity fed cup when doing horizontal desktop spraying. And I plan to do alot of horizontal spraying. The top just did not have a seal on it that I could keep from dripping. The folks at Lowes took it back without any problem but I am kind of overwhelmed with all the choices out there. I am thinking about getting either a siphon feed, instead of gravity feed, hvlp or maybe even a 'paint pot' with a gun as that would solve the horizontal drip problems at least. The only down side to that that I can think of is the extra cleaning involved in keeping a xx foot fluid hose flowing.

Any tips, experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Cary

eyekode

New User
Salem
So... I know almost nothing about spray finishing but I have been happy with the kit I bought from woodcraft. It is just like this one: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10469&filter=hvlp

I have used it to spray target USL on a couple projects and it has worked really good. It is siphon feed and comes with the turbine. You could even come check out mine if you like (I live in Apex).

Salem

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
IF you have an old siphon feed, you may want to buy this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93312

the gun isn't worth a whole lot , but the spray pot is okay for light use. It is a DeVilbiss knock-off but quite a bit cheaper. The 2 qt pot is small and light enough to hang on your belt loop while the 6' hose is long enough that it does not restrict arm movement. The short hose also does not take a lot of solvent to clean up.

Another choice is if you can find a binks or devilbiss pressure cup (1 qt cup that is pressurized) instead of straight siphon). They are usually mated with the Binks Mach I HVLP but with the Binks/DeVilbiss name (DeVilbiss now owns Binks), they aren't cheap.

The cup is more convenient for most straight up spraying, but the 2 qt pressure pot/hose gives more flexibility in spraying upside down or in tight areas.

The advantage of both the above are that they can be run off a conventional 120v air compressor that puts out about 6CFM at 90 PSI instead of the 8-10 cfm @90 lbs (220v) needed for a siphon feed Binks model 7, etc.

Hope this helps

Go

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I had the Wagner Finespray (available at the BORG for about $99). I was VERY happy with it. It provided for a beautiful finish, was easy to use, very light, cleaned up easily and sprayed efficiently. Can't ask for much more at that price!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS