HVLP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodmund

New User
goodmund
Has anyone successfully run an HVLP sprayer with a 6-gallon pancake compressor? My father in law insists that it can be done, BUt he's using a full size compressor. I've compared what the compressor says it can put out in volume and what the spray gun wants in volume and it looks like there's too big a gap. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't want to spend the money for a spray gun and find out the hard way I'm right. Anyone care to pick a side in this? Thanks for the help.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
not much volume in a 6 gallon tank.... I know where you can get a 13 gallon tank to put in line to increase your volume some...

you may be able to use a detail gun with your pancake compressor, but you will be waiting for the compressor to cycle rather frequently.

my brother lives in Siler City and works at The Farm Course in GSO, I could get the compressor tank to him sometime in the next few weeks if it is something you might be interested in.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Yes, you can do it. Need to make sure you have a good filter in line to remove the water (dessicant filters work well), the compressor is going to run a lot, and you have to keep an eye on your gauges to make sure you are letting it keep up. You might have a little trouble say spraying a dining room table top due to the sheer size and wanting to do it at one time, but otherwise, yes, it can be done, and yes I have done it on a 6 gallon compressor, well actually, I think the one I used at the time was a 5 gallon.

Nativespec

New User
David
I have tried it with my pancake but I got a lot of bounce back. I bought an Appolo off of Craig's List for under $400 that works much better.

Thanks,

David

DavidF

New User
David
Yes it can be done, but the compressor will short cycle and if the volume drops too much you may ruin the spray job and the compressor eventually. I use a 20 Gall compressor and even that cycles relatively frequently. Personally I would upgrade the compressor unless you intend only doing very small jobs with a detail gun. Don't forget you need a "conversion" type of HVLP gun to run from a compressor..... I hope it works out for you.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
The cheap fix is to add more storage to the compressor. You can pick up a 5 gallon air tank at Northern for under 30 bucks, or watch craigslist or something. I have a Rol-air 9 gallon air tank that I use with one of my pancake compressors, and it really made a difference.

The 13 gallon tank from Pete sounds like a good deal, as it has more storage than the Northern tank.

Hey Pete - what's "The Farm Course in GSO"?

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS