Humorous posts -for the staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I guess we should start to discuss this here too. If for no other reason to decide what, if anything, should be done. If you don't mind, I'll keep my thoughts on this to myself, because I don't want to influence others, YET:lol:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, it is obvious that some people just don't "get it". For instance DavidF came to the conclusion, that because 3 women stated they were not offended, then we didn't chase them off, therefore there isn't an issue:roll:

Part of the problem is that I named the post "Humorous Posts" I think that took the spotlight off of the real issue. Another part of the problem is that some people will never get it. And the other part of the problem, is that I was not very eloquent in my explanation.

Anyway, I know what I feel is the right thing to do. And let me say again this has nothing to do with humorous posts. I want those to continue.

I am going to go through the threads that I feel are inappropriate and move them to the moderation queues, just in case there is something in any of them that has some value. And so you guys can see which ones , I have removed and if you have an questions why. Please post those questions here.

I will be deleting mshel's avatar, if he doesn't change it first.

If you receive any questions from the other members as to how and why the decisions were made please feel free to deflect the question to me. As I said somewhere, I am the official SOB!

The thread I started in Webmaster's Announcements is closed and unstuck.

Basically the tactic is this, "clean" the site up and then let the issue die a natural death. As moderator's and admins, we should just be more sensitive to the issues, I have raised. When another thread or post is made that seems like it might contribute to this site being an uncomfortable place for women then immediately throw it in the moderation queue and then we can look at it at our leisure. Also, there has been at least one post that I can think of, that I'm getting rid of, just because it is simply in very bad taste. Feel free to move that type of post to moderation queue also.

There is one post that probably requires special explanation. Because, if you clicked on the link, it was one of the most inoffensive and funniest posts on this site. Gator's "Hooter's Calendar". But the problem is "if you clicked on the link. Imagine someone browsing the site and seeing the thread title. If you don't click on the link than the impression would be of a site that would allow such a post. And I wouldn't allow it. When I saw it, I almost deleted it immediately. While I am into my sixties, I am still a man and not yet dead, I clicked just to take a quick look BEFORE i deleted it.:lol:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, right now I feel like an idiot. On a quick read, I only found 3 threads. And these have been discussed ad-nauseam , so I just deleted them. I also decided to just delete my post in Webmaster's Announcements.

I know this issue has been bothering me for 2 months, so it is not just the threads I deleted. Either, the questionable items that started my thought process are buried deep in the bowels of the forum or they were individual posts embedded in more innocuous sounding threads. OR, I AM crazy:neener:
Anyway, I not going to do anymore searching. If I see anything that's questionable, then I'll throw it into moderation and I'd appreciate if you guys would do the same.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
SteveColes said:
I am going to go through the threads that I feel are inappropriate and move them to the moderation queues, just in case there is something in any of them that has some value. And so you guys can see which ones , I have removed and if you have an questions why. Please post those questions here.

I think that is a good idea, I am unsure about what is being considered inappropriate. I had considered asking you what your wife found to be offensive, but I thought that you didn't mention the specific posts for a reason. This will be a good learning experience for us all.

Dave:)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Sorry about that. Gator's as I expalined. Beer and the bottle rock launched from ....

As I said, there more but I acn't find them now

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Never mind, I found which ones
. My appologies, I will keep my boys club childish humor to myself. I had no intentions of being offensive. As senior moderator I should set a better example....:slap: :eusa_naug :eusa_naug :eusa_naug

Dave:oops:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Dave, as I said before, don't worry about it. If there is any "fault" here it is mine. I let the issue grow until it got out hand. I could have stopped months ago by discreetly PM people that a post or it wording was inappropriate. That's what we've been doing for all other types of inappropriate posting. Why didn't I do that this type of stuff earlier.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Steve,

Don't beat yourself up here, this site is one of the friendliest I've visited. I do agree that we need to moderate and jump in when things are heading down the wrong path and PM's are the best way to address things. I don't think it would hurt for Mshell to come up with a new avatar and deleting the items of concern will help this to die a quiet death.

I'm not a big fan of being politically correct but I do think it is appropriate that we maintain a certain level of decency.

cskipper

Cathy
I think you method for dealing with these is good. I was really surprised with DavidF's conclusion of no harm no foul. The hooter's calendar is one I almost went off on - and then did open the link to see if I was really mad or just mad. I would appreciate Mshell's avatar being changed - that's always been offensive.

If any of us dump something into moderation that anybody else disagrees with let's just discuss it. Like you said, there haven't been many instances.

You are not the only one who have watched this kind of unfold so please don't beat yourself up. As always, I think you do an awesome job. Thanks for dealing with all this.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cathy, you need to be our check system. Being the only female moderator, who obviously has more sense, compassion, feeling and sense of appropriateness than I. If you found something to be offensive or inappropriate send it into moderation. No one will know who did it, it can always be blamed on me. Obviously because I posted several of the offensive posts, I had no clue that they were inappropriate for the site or particular forum. I did realize that they were off color, but that is what I consider the "basement" for. I guess I still hang out at Woodnet too much. Dave (a bad, bad boy):oops:

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I just wanted to clear up my point regarding being politically correct. I'm completely comfortable with the types of controls and changes we are discussing here. My "PC" comment is more of an anticipation that some members over time may be offended by supportive statements toward our military, long dissertations on the immediate need for sustainable harvest and why we should only use "green" finishes to protect mother earth. I've seen major flame exchanges on these very subjects on other sites. I think it is certainly appropriate to ensure that the site remains a welcome place regardless of gender, race, religion, etc.

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
I'll be glad to do my part - but there are certainly more posts than I can read so it will take all of us.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I concur with all of the above. I think the issues and concerns have been addressed very well and it sounds like a solid plan to place any questionable posts that we might run across into moderation for our discussion. Although I personally found some of the posts in question humorous, in the back of my mind I knew they weren't quite the right type of material for this site. I could probably write a lot more on this topic based on changes (for the better) that I have seen and experienced in the past 30-years but I think enough has been said already.

For the short time I have been a moderator I have found myself looking more closely at not just the contents of posts but how they are worded as well. I think we are all doing a pretty good job of keeping things policed up. Lets keep up the good work.:icon_thum

Just promise me one thing..........don't ever take away our penguin.:lol: I kind of like how he (or she) has a tendency to pop up from time to time.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS