Humor in CL ad? TS "in good condition" but look a little closer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
not mine, definitely not endorsing - but some CL ads just make me laugh

Read the description of the condition: "delta table saw in good condition. Runs well all knobs work."
Now look at the picture - that look like a TS that you would describe as in good condition? May be good condition for one left out in the rain for a year, or good condition 'cuz all the knobs work, even though it was submerged for a month in the flood.

Henry

[h=2]delta table saw 34-670 - $300 hide this posting[/h]
<image 1 of 2>
00N0N_9ItSyNMIB2P_600x450.jpg

00N0N_9ItSyNMIB2P_600x450.jpg

[FONT=&quot]
3212.png
3212.png
3213.png
3213.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

[/FONT]
delta table saw in good condition. Runs well all knobs work.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks like the knob is missing from the rip guide, but the knobs that are there probably work OK.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe they are paying someone $300 to take it away??

ehpoole

Ethan
Maybe they are paying someone $300 to take it away??

I was going to suggest the humor was in asking $300 for an old rundown tablesaw that likely originally sold for just a bit better than that several decades ago. I guess rust and broken fences add value!

That said it is not necessary for cast iron and steel to be left out in the rain and still end up looking like that. Growing up on a farm, we had a fair bit of equipment in our barns that looked every bit as rusty yet was far too sheltered to have ever gotten rained on (not even in a hurricane did rain ever make it that far in), but condensation and fog can still do a number on steel and cast iron over the course of several decades.

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
I believe the current word is vintage. That word at least doubles the price. I think I'll add it to my resume so I can ask for higher pay.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It's almost the same saw as mine, and mine was in that condition after I left it in my barn for 5 years. None of the knobs worked it was rusted so bad. Then I had to take it completely apart, de-rust every part, grease and reassemble. Have used it for about 17 years since then.

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
It's almost the same saw as mine, and mine was in that condition after I left it in my barn for 5 years. None of the knobs worked it was rusted so bad. Then I had to take it completely apart, de-rust every part, grease and reassemble. Have used it for about 17 years since then.

Yes Mike, do-able if you already owned it or it was free. In this case you could pay someone $300 and then have the privilege of doing all that. Methinks I would find another saw to rejuvenate.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Looks like the blade insert is broken, missing part of it near the right hand side closest corner.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I think a better description would be, "ancient relic," which might also describe me.........

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought one similar a couple of months ago for half that price, none of the rust...Excuse me, vintage patina.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Aw, c'mon, guys. That's probably his 'out of the gate' price. The guy's probably been watching "American Pickers" or some such show and just wants to give himself some haggle room.
He'll need it.........

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
This hot deal is still available! Surprised that no one has snapped it up yet - although maybe it is sold but the CL poster has not updated CL yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS