Humidor for my son for Christmas - How it works

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
This was started a little less than a year ago and got pushed to the wayside for other projects.
Sapele carcass lined with cedar. Flame maple inlayed top with India inked trim. Maple-sapele-maple splines.
Two all- cedar trays hold about 60 mid-sized cigars. Lid and body lap joint for humidity seal.
The fun part is getting the top open...

Attachments

• Humidor Inside with trays.jpg
    Humidor Inside with trays.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 98
  • Humidor Iso view.jpg
    Humidor Iso view.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
  • Humidor Open with Trays in front.jpg
    Humidor Open with Trays in front.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 92
  • Humidor View of Top.jpg
    Humidor View of Top.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
  • Humidor with Drawer pulled to fourth marker.jpg
    Humidor with Drawer pulled to fourth marker.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 97

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Getting the top open is a sequential puzzle.
First, the drawer is moved to a specific marker dot on the drawer sides. This frees the medallion to be rotated until it hits a stop. The drawer is then moved to a different dot and the medallion can then rotate more and open the latch.

The pictures below show how it works.
The sides of the drawer are marked with inlaid dots. Near one of the dots on each side is a magnet. This was done by drilling the sides and gluing in a magnet, then veneering over them.
In a recess behind the front of the box is the lock mechanism. At the end of each arm is a magnet faced to oppose the magnets in the drawer. The spring on each arm keeps it in the locked position.
When the drawer is open so that the magnet on the left side is in position, the left pawl will rotate, allowing the disk to turn CW (from this view) until the boss on the right hits the right pawl.
If the magnet on the right is positioned first it will activate the right pawl, but the left pawl keeps the disk from turning.
Once turned, the boss on the bottom of the disk keeps the left pawl from re-engaging.
When the drawer is slid to the second marker, a magnet on the right side rotates the right arm rotating the right pawl allowing the top boss to release the latch.
The medallion can be reset at any time - the latch is spring loaded and will allow the top to close.

The brass parts were all cut at Send-Cut-Send. Happy to share the CAD files for them and the pocket with anyone who wants.

Attachments

• Humidor Drawer.jpg
    Humidor Drawer.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • Humidor lock mechanism in locked position.jpg
    Humidor lock mechanism in locked position.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 93
  • Humidor First Pawl Activated.jpg
    Humidor First Pawl Activated.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 97
  • Humidor Unlatched.jpg
    Humidor Unlatched.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 93

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Getting the top open is a sequential puzzle.
First, the drawer is moved to a specific marker dot on the drawer sides. This frees the medallion to be rotated until it hits a stop. The drawer is then moved to a different dot and the medallion can then rotate more and open the latch.

The pictures below show how it works.
The sides of the drawer are marked with inlaid dots. Near one of the dots on each side is a magnet. This was done by drilling the sides and gluing in a magnet, then veneering over them.
In a recess behind the front of the box is the lock mechanism. At the end of each arm is a magnet faced to oppose the magnets in the drawer. The spring on each arm keeps it in the locked position.
When the drawer is open so that the magnet on the left side is in position, the left pawl will rotate, allowing the disk to turn CW (from this view) until the boss on the right hits the right pawl.
If the magnet on the right is positioned first it will activate the right pawl, but the left pawl keeps the disk from turning.
Once turned, the boss on the bottom of the disk keeps the left pawl from re-engaging.
When the drawer is slid to the second marker, a magnet on the right side rotates the right arm rotating the right pawl allowing the top boss to release the latch.
The medallion can be reset at any time - the latch is spring loaded and will allow the top to close.

The brass parts were all cut at Send-Cut-Send. Happy to share the CAD files for them and the pocket with anyone who wants.
Wow, I'm speechless!!

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice to see you got the lock mechanism working. I remember discussing this with you. It came out really, really nice! Good work! I may have to pirate the design for some project of my own in the future ;).

Before @Dee2 asks, I'll go ahead and say, "This would make a great write-up w/plans and CAD to put in the resources section".

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Nice to see you got the lock mechanism working. I remember discussing this with you. It came out really, really nice! Good work! I may have to pirate the design for some project of my own in the future ;).

Before @Dee2 asks, I'll go ahead and say, "This would make a great write-up w/plans and CAD to put in the resources section".
Thanks - yeah, it gathered dust for WAY too long.
You are welcome to the CAD files at any time. As for a write-up, maybe I could squeeze in a really short one at some point when I need a break from "the wall".

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
is it possible to make a quick 'movie' of how this works?
I'll see if I can get the footage and maybe someone can help with the editing and posting - I think it needs to be reformatted into a gif file, since the site doesnt seem to take video files.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think it needs to be reformatted into a gif file, since the site doesnt seem to take video files.
Post it in your YouTube channel and share the link

Last edited by a moderator:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Joe, the humidor is both extraordinarily beautiful and fascinating. Your projects are hardly ever straight-up woodworking, but a wonderful combination of woodworking and mechanical design...AWESOME!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors