Howdy, y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.

daletx

New User
Dale
OK, first a confession: I lied to get in. I don't *really* live in Edward, NC...yet...but I'm working on it. Please don't hate me for jumping the gun.

I'm 65 years old, retired software developer from the University of Texas, and in the process of buying a house near Edward. I was looking for a place on the water, where I could go paddling out my back door. What I found was a place on the water with 12 acres, nine of which is woodland.

The house has been vacant for years, so it's going to need a lot of work. Since I'm financing, the bank insists all the work has to be done by a licensed contractor. That means no DIY. (Any of y'all contractors, maybe we could work something out?)

Here's the cool part: the gentleman who lived there before had a millwork business. This place comes with a metal shop on a slab, and all of his stationary equipment conveys with the property!

There's also a two-story barn on the property. Care to guess what's on the first floor? A large stack of roughsawn lumber, which has been air-drying for who knows how long. Oh, and there's an old one-room schoolhouse, which is filled with...roughsawn lumber, which has been air-drying...

I've done carpentry work in the past, a little hobby woodworking off and on, so I'm not a newby, exactly, but I'm gonna need some help from y'all in the very near future. I want to identify all that wood. I need to rehab a lot of the machinery (surface rust, but I'm betting it can be made to work). Heck, I've got (well, I've *almost* got) one machine I can't even identify!

Anyway, thanks to Raymond for suggesting I check in. I'd love to hear from anybody in the Aurora/New Bern/Chocowinity/Washington/Greenville area. After 65 years in Texas, I'm looking forward to something a little different.

Dale

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Dale. You have come to the right web site, a really great group of people on here.

woodturner2014

New User
Harry
Dale, I don't see why you can't do the work yourself if you have the ability. In NC, the owner is allowed to do it if a permit is issued and the work inspected and approved. I wired my building to suit my needs and the inspector checked it out the day it was completed. No problem. Check with the local permit office (not the bank).

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Dale, I don't see why you can't do the work yourself if you have the ability. In NC, the owner is allowed to do it if a permit is issued and the work inspected and approved. I wired my building to suit my needs and the inspector checked it out the day it was completed. No problem. Check with the local permit office (not the bank).

The bank can't stop you from doing your own work, but that doesn't mean they can't make that a condition to give you a loan. The house is the collateral for the loan, if someone decides to do everything DIY and does a bad job, the value of the collateral will be affected.

redknife

New User
Chris
Sounds like a great place, Dale. North Carolina is a great place to live IMO, having moved around the country a fair bit. Congrats on your transition and best of luck getting your new place set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS