how would you?

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
A couple of the doors at my dad’s house are stuck.
These are patio doors where both sides open, but we’ve only ever use one side. The other side is secured with latches top and bottom that extend down into the sill and up into the top of the frame. These latches are stuck. FWIW worth and IIRC the latches are brass.
What is a good way to free these up so the doors operate correctly?
We’re getting ready to sell the house and this is one of my punch list items.

I’m thinking a sharp rap with a dead blow hammer on the latch, perhaps with a drift to center the shock in the flipper part of the latch, and/or some penetrating oil.

I usually use Kroil, but that is pretty smelly for interior use. (these doors go from the house to the screen porch)

Any suggestions?

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
There are two types of head/foot bolts that I ma familiar with.
both are in the jamb of the door. One type "flips" over to disengage the bolt, the other type simply slides up or down into a hole in the head/sill. If it is the flip side, liberally spray with any penetrating oil. I prefer a product called "Free-All" available at the major auto parts stores. WD 40 would probably work in a pinch. The other type of bolt accumulates dirt over the years and it wedges the bolt in the recess. Again, use penetrating oil, but be prepared to apply a little persuasion. Tap it with a plastic hammer while working the bolt and it should release.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
There are two types of head/foot bolts that I ma familiar with.
both are in the jamb of the door. One type "flips" over to disengage the bolt, the other type simply slides up or down into a hole in the head/sill. If it is the flip side, liberally spray with any penetrating oil. I prefer a product called "Free-All" available at the major auto parts stores. WD 40 would probably work in a pinch. The other type of bolt accumulates dirt over the years and it wedges the bolt in the recess. Again, use penetrating oil, but be prepared to apply a little persuasion. Tap it with a plastic hammer while working the bolt and it should release.
Thanks! These are definitely the flip style

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I stand corrected. These are the sliding style, not the flip style.
IMG_7258.jpeg

There are a total of 8, 4 doors, top and bottom. I’m going to try the penetrating oil and some judicious tapping. trying to figure out how to get substantial force in the direction I need it to move. No room to work

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
Use a brass of even wooden drift in the lug of the slider and tap gently at first. Try both directions,, both up and down. Any movement is a positive thing and just keep working it both directions until you get it moving freely.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I was wondering if removal is possible with the latch engaged. I can always try and see what happens.

thanks all!

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Remove and replace. They don't cost much
I was able to free two of them.
Was able to remove two more, I think it’s best to replace them all.
Where would I find replacements?
I’m in SC so what kind of vendor am I looking for. I didn’t see them at the local hardware, though it is very well stocked, not a chain place.

PhilErup

PhilErup
User
Try applying WD-40 or a similar penetrating oil to the stuck latches on your patio doors. Let it sit, give them a gentle tap with a hammer, and clean around the latch area. If all else fails, consider disassembling the latch mechanism.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
FWIW - the two latches I removed show corrosion on the plunger part. To get them to operate smoothly I will need to take some sandpaper to them and smooth them out. Not sure I will have time on this trip to do that times the 6 that are still stuck.
As Fred mentioned they can be replaced easily - if you can find them. So far I am having trouble locating this style (round end), and mounting ( 2 screws in the face) and size (7”).
I checked an online catalog for the manufacturer and they don’t show any like this.

Changing to a different end style or mounting will require adjustments to the door recess, which may or may not be doable without removing the doors. That would be a job for another trip.

I did learn they are called “flush bolts”. That’s something.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors