How vital is a planer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Thanks for all the good feedback. I'm now leaning towards ignoring my arbitrarily chosen tool budget and buying the quality tools I'll need in a year or so, instead of entry level ones. It's a lot cheaper in the long run to skip past tools that are purchased with the expectation of upgrading shortly after. I also have really bad luck with selling things on craigslist.
As they say on Family Feud, GOOD ANSWER!

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I may be late to the conversation, but I love my Dewalt 735 (craigslist $340 pretty much brand new0. I have a Wixley Digital Height gauge (got it for around $50), and infeed and outfeed tables (dewalt ones) and love it. I've put more use into the planer than anything other than my table saw.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Rather than buying nothing now you might want to consider is the relatively low cost of buying used, using for a year or two then reselling into what you want. Most of my tools (except table saw) were bought used for around 1/2 the price of new but were in like-new condition. Some other tools were bought new (bandsaw and drill-press) when Lowe's was clearing them out for 70% off. With all of these tools I was able to build a queen size bed for my house and am now working on a dresser to match.

The table saw was bought as a keeper as it is too big and has too many custom jigs to "trade" often but the rest of the stuff will be sold and upgraded over time. I can almost guarantee that I will get 50% - 80% (or more) out of the tools when I sell them and if you average that out over a few years the cost to use these tools is actually pretty cheap (at least that is what I tell my wife).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS