How to repeat 45 degree angles

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I am cutting molding for frames and running into a problem. I have a miter saw that I am using but don't know how to repeat the angle each time. When you slide from right to left and back again there is no way that I know to always go back to the same exact place. I am only looking at the line. Help would be appreciated. Lorraine

DavidF

New User
David
If the saw hasn't got index stops, and I would be surprised if it didn't then there must be somewhere on the saw that moves that you can put a stop up against that you can return to each time.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
There should be a refrenced stop for 45 degress. I can't think of any in recent years that did not at least have these stops.

But for the sake of arguement, let's say it doesn't. If you can cut 2 pieces in opposing 45 degree angles, use these for a set up block.

Put one or the other up against your fence and swing you blade til it meets it.
Hope this makes sense.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Ok, here are pictures of the saw.

Attachments

• 102_2458.jpg
    102_2458.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 216
  • 102_2460.jpg
    102_2460.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 207

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That thumb lever about the red twist handle should click into place at specific common angles like 45, 22.5 etc. If it doesn't I would follow Skysharks suggestion, with some test fitting using two cut pieces and a true try square, or something else with a true 45 deg. angle.

Dave:)

MikeH

New User
Mike
That thumb lever about the red twist handle should click into place at specific common angles like 45, 22.5 etc. If it doesn't I would follow Skysharks suggestion, with some test fitting using two cut pieces and a true try square, or something else with a true 45 deg. angle.

Dave:)

Yeah what Dave said!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
One thing you might do is flip the molding over and cut it from the other side so you don't have to reset the saw. Doesn't work with some moldings like crown though.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Lorraine,

A lot of saws aren't set up accurately from the factory. You should be able to adjust the fences (loosen set screws) and adjust to get a perfect cut.

On my CMS, I set the fences so they were perfectly aligned with each other and accurate at the 90 degree miter setting. The 45 degree cuts were then checked and were okay. You should also adjust the stops on your bevel settings. Once done you should be in good shape.

Chuck

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I have my grandchildren today so I am not in the shop. I did however get the manual out and it shows all the things everyone has mentioned. I don't understand it though until I put it to practice. Thank you all for the help. I have many cross stitch pieces I have made over the years that I am now ready for framing. I have cut amd put together three and I am satisfied with them but the last one had one cut that wasn't good so I came looking help. Thanks again. I will let you know how this plays out and follow it up with pics to include my cross stitch pieces. Lorraine

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
What Chuck said. Tools out of the box may have been set at the factory:eusa_pray but, during shipping, unpacking, and setting up the accuracy maybe lost. They should be checked upon first use and intermittently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS