How much saw dust do you make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
It is well-established that horses bedded on wood shavings that contain 20% or more black walnut shavings can develop the hoof disease laminitis. ... However, a hungry horse that has little to eat except walnut leaves, fallen walnuts, or branches that have fallen into the horse enclosure may be at risk.

Don't know about gardens but back in my days working as a farrier's asst I remember my boss telling owners to get rid of all the walnut husks and leaves in the pastures. Do not put anything from the walnut tree around your horses.

Walnut trees in New England are no where near as common as they are here on the Piedmont. Still it was a concern back in the 1970s.

Here some walnut from Hurricane Fran. Air dried.

finish_stuff_15jun_010.JPG

No horses were harmed in the creation of this piece of art!

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
No horses behind the house where the chips landed. So I am good there.

I use about 300-500 walnut husks to boil up my brown dye solutions. When things are slow and I won't need much, I make an "espresso" mix and add some salt to keep it from getting "pong" as the Aussies say.

What dye that I don't use I give to some local weavers to color the wools naturally in a historically correct way. Its funny when I boil them up -- the squirrels are circling hoping for a dropped nut. No walnut trees in my yard so they are just everywhere once the pot gets boiling with 100 husks turning the water black. Makes for an interesting afternoon. Boiling walnut husks and steaming oak stips for chairs or boat ribs.

1-steam_bends_nov_2016_010.JPG

DSC07954.JPG

Some walnut die over nitric acid with iron filings. After neutralizing the nitric, I go over the curly maple with some walnut dye and a little yellow.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
I filled my 80 cubic yard dumpster in 1 day. I don't want to do that again. I was a sawdust shower when they dumped it

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
How much sawdust do I make? Let's just say that I use dump trucks to dispose of it! LOL.

Typically it gets stockpiled, and then tilled into a new pasture. It requires a lot of nitrogen if you compost it

Richo B

New User
Richo
Most of the time it goes in the trash. Sometimes I use it to lay down on one of the paths in the backyard to help mark it or to break down. A couple years ago I had a tall oak tree taken down and they left a bunch of sawdust on the ground where the stump was. I got a shovel and scooped it all up and that is what helped establish one of the primary paths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS