How much saw dust do you make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
For a small one man operation, think I broke my record yesterday.

Made close to 90 gallons of saw dust from 8am to 4pm.

What do you do with yours? Anyone try and make something useful with this stuff, compost, fire logs, or anything else?

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I dump it in the trash can and make sure I'm not around when the city empties the can. Actually, I put it in a trash bag and put it in the trash can. Most of the time. Unfortunately I don't make a lot yet, but I do make enough to clog up my two shop vacs more often that I would have thought.

ste6168

New User
Mike
I dump it in the trash can and make sure I'm not around when the city empties the can. Actually, I put it in a trash bag and put it in the trash can. Most of the time. Unfortunately I don't make a lot yet, but I do make enough to clog up my two shop vacs more often that I would have thought.

Off topic, yes, but I just picked up one of these to try in front of my shop vac. Haven't gotten it hooked up yet, but am interested in seeing how it helps with that. I got a semi-transparent bucket from Lowes for it so I can keep an eye on the sawdust levels.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dustopp...ia-with-2-5-in-hose-36-in-long-HD12/302643445

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I compost and/or use it for mulch as much as possible.

If I generate more than I can use, I just put a 'free' ad on Craigslist. There are a quite a few farms in the area that use it in their chicken coups, etc.

gmakra

New User
George
Well I run in second place I have made up tp 60 gallons a day when I am on the thickness planer.
In he last year I figure I have made 250 gal or so.
I put it in the vegetable garden I slice logs 4 inches thick and use them for pavers on some weed cloth and use the saw dust as ballast and filler.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I make about 20 gallons a month. Regular sawdust from the table saw, jointer, bandsaw gets dumped in the woods.

Hand planing curls are saved for a friend who makes fire starter bag for the State park campground visitors.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I do about 35 gallons every month or so and dump it in the trash can. Then peek out the window when the trash truck uses the hydraulic arm to lift it and snicker as the huge dust cloud emerges

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I have the luxury of living in the woods so I just empty my 55 gl. drum on the ground away from my shop. When the mound gets too high I spread it around w/ my tractor.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I blow all of mine out back into the woods. No filters to clean or containers to empty.
Blowers are all located under the shop so I don't have to listen to them running.
Not everyone can do this because of restrictions, but for me, it's the best way.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
I use all kinds of woods so I'm not entirely sure of the safety of spreading it into my vegetable garden. Like others I bag it up and send it out with the trash. My woodworking is irregular but I' don't think I've ever managed more than 20-30 gallons at a time. I did plane some SYP this fall to spread into and around my blueberries. That generated about 6 big garbage bags full.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Like Bill, I live in the woods, but I blow my sawdust directly into the woods, no emptying anything other than a shopvac occasionally. It's really convenient when turning large bowls.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A lot of what I plane isn't suitable for recycle in agriculture such as walnut and cherry so I have to bag it. I'll use 55 gal drum liners when doing a lot of wood and then wait until bulk trash day and put it out on the curb. Processing is easier that way. If there's a large volume, I have to use a plastic snow shovel to load because a hobby shop sized dust collector would be overwhelmed in minutes. I've tried all sorts of uses over the 40 years I've had a shop and its come down to "get it in the trash and off the property". Other venues of disposal are too time consuming and too picky.

1 shavings - 1.jpg

Planing a bunch of short drawer parts

1 shavings - 2.jpg

From the jointer facing and edging. The regular shaving box would fill too quickly so it was removed.

1 shavings - 3.jpg
Planer shavings. Mostly red oak.

1 shavings - 4.jpg
Drawer parts awaiting detailing.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Don't generate that much when you resaw close to thickness. I'd like to have a big dust system but for now its the old push broom.

1-18_apr_2017_011.JPG

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I have the luxury of living in the woods so I just empty my 55 gl. drum on the ground away from my shop. When the mound gets too high I spread it around w/ my tractor.

LOL, I just did the same thing in my Pine tree forest, filled a few holes also. Interesting post in the thread. I know there are questions about Walnut, but I did not know Cherry is not good for compost.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
We use sawdust in the bottom of our compost bin (our city has curbside composting) so that it doesn't become soggy and fetid. Most of my fine waste is plane shavings, so we give the extra to our daycare person because she also keeps chickens.

Regarding walnut toxicity in compost, I had looked into this a while ago. I found that juglone concentrations (the compound in walnut that inhibits plant growth) in wood is very low, compared to roots, fruits and leaves. Further, juglone is rapidly degraded in soil (source, and source) and likely faster in compost, where microbial activity is very high. I thus concluded that the possibility of walnut dust having a negative impact on plant growth was low, so I used it in my old compost pile.

I don't know anything about cherry being harmful to plants. Can you say more?

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
It is well-established that horses bedded on wood shavings that contain 20% or more black walnut shavings can develop the hoof disease laminitis. ... However, a hungry horse that has little to eat except walnut leaves, fallen walnuts, or branches that have fallen into the horse enclosure may be at risk.

Don't know about gardens but back in my days working as a farrier's asst I remember my boss telling owners to get rid of all the walnut husks and leaves in the pastures. Do not put anything from the walnut tree around your horses.

Walnut trees in New England are no where near as common as they are here on the Piedmont. Still it was a concern back in the 1970s.

Here some walnut from Hurricane Fran. Air dried.

finish_stuff_15jun_010.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS