How Much Accumulation Do You Get if you Exhaust DC Outside?

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
@HITCH- recently posted a way to empty your dust collectors bag using a 5 gallon bucket. This got me thinking about how bad I hate changing the bag on mine. While the 5 gal bucket idea is fine, I really want to get rid of the bag. Along with this I would like to convert it to a 2 stage setup. I really don't want this to increase the foot print, so I'm looking at the possibility of eliminating the filter bag to save space.

The big question is, if I eliminate the filter and exhaust outside, how much will it accumulate over time? The place I have to exhaust it would be out a window toward the front of my house. It's somewhat hidden and I think I could direct it down to the ground behind a bush. I think I could tolerate a little pile since it's just going into a mulch bed.

To minimize what's exhausted, I'm looking at the Oneida Super Dust Deputy and the 4" Rockler Dust separator kits. Both appear to get most of the dust, leaving minimal going to the filter (or filter bag). Does anyone have this type setup? How much accumulation do you get over time?

FYI for reference, I currently have a 1.5 hp. Shop Fox with 30 gallon bag. I can empty the bag in field/forest behind my house. When I am using my thickness planer, I can easily fill the bag in a day. I probably end up filling it once a month.
1704577204720.png

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I was really excited when I saw folks online exhausting outside and eliminating the filter but then I learned that this method can quickly reduce your conditioned air.
The trade off for loss of heat in the winter or cool air in the summer is not worth it to me.
I was table to find a compatible canister filter for my 2hp DC on ebay for $75, so I am going to go that route for now.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I was really excited when I saw folks online exhausting outside and eliminating the filter but then I learned that this method can quickly reduce your conditioned air.
The trade off for loss of heat in the winter or cool air in the summer is not worth it to me.
I was table to find a compatible canister filter for my 2hp DC on ebay for $75, so I am going to go that route for now.
It’s one of those things that is hard to know for sure until you try it. I only run my heat or AC when I‘m in the shop on days it’s really necessary. Same with the DC, it’s only ran while the TS, BS or planer is running. Seems like it’s worth a shot, I can always add the filter back if it doesn’t work out.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use a "2 hp" DC motor and blower from Harbor Freight mounted on top of a super dust deputy with a 70 gallon dust bin below the cyclone. The exhaust from the cyclone goes through the wall past a swinging plastic 6 inch vent towards some bushes. The only time I see any dust on anything other than a little on the plastic vent is when I let the dust bin overflow. The noise from it is obvious and could be an issue but I don't think dust accumulation should be an issue for the setup you describe.

Jointing and planning are the primary generators of debris as you apparently know. I buy lumber rough sawn so I have to run the planner a bunch and the bin fills up. The last time I emptied it I burned the dust - didn't burn as easy as I expected. I have taken it to a local trash collection center too where they let me dispose of it in the construction debris bin. The cyclone gets dust from the table saw too, however. I'm sure a little fine dust makes it past the cyclone but I don't see it on the bushes.

I use a little electric heater if I have to and a box fan to cool a little if I have to so I don't worry about loss of conditioned air.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I run my HVAC all the time to control humidity, stabilize my wood, and rust prevention. ( Triumph in the other half of the shop and British cars are "bio-degradable" ) So, inside it is. As far as the question how much gets past a well made cyclone, not much. I have not changed my portable bag in 5 years and when I vibrated my big CV canisters, only a handful of dust fell down. If anyone cared, it is probably against EPA for exhausting fine particles.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Ha! you're probably right about the EPA...but it's still legal to burn you leaves!?@#*

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I exhaust outside and use a cyclone. There's nothing preventing me from exhausting directly, I just didn't want all that sawdust accumulating and eventually is needs to be disposed of. My thinking was I didn't want a pile of sawdust close to a building.

It's no big deal emptying the 55 gal can 20 feet to the burn cage.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS