How many amp panel for shop?

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Hi, finally getting around to wiring the shop. I could use suggestions on the size of electrical panel to put in.

As far as tools, I have 220v jointer, planer, table saw, bandsaw, lathe and DC. I would like to have toys for tots workshops with perhaps 5 people helping out. This would mean that some of the above could be utilized at the same time as well as a couple of routers, a few 120v small stationary sanders,another bandsaw.

Finally, at least one car charger (prefer 2) would be nice.

What do others with similar requirements have for a panel?

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Are all 220 tools 20A, or do you have some that require 30A?

1+ 110v, 1+ 220v tool at a time + your DC? What sort of DC do you have, since I'm assuming that would be running at the same time as your tools

At a minimum, each tool should require a 20A circuit, so figure "X" tools running + your DC. Not sure of the DC requirements.

Working out of your garage? Needing a car charger?

Could you give examples of what sort of tools you'll be running at the same time with their electrical amp requirements?

Knowing more information will definitely help.

Thanks

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
If you are taking just about the panel size, I went with 100 Amp service. 20 to 30 Amp breakers based on what tools I had plus a double for the 220 tools and mini split. However, at the time we could not find a 100 Amp breaker to put in my main box so it had a 50 but I have had no issues running the mini split, DC amd any individual tool.

I would suggest a large box for expansion later. Mine is almost at capacity space wise but I have no need for expansion. Cost would not have been much more and I would not have had to get the breakers that are mini space saver breakers.

sandfarm

Joe
User
How much current do you have coming in to the shop from power pole or box?
I had 200 amps at the pole so I put in a 200 amp panel.
Overkill, maybe, but I have never had a low voltage problem.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I did my shop long after lots of my friends had their shops. To the man, they said 200 amps minimum. What piddling added expense was nothing compared to getting an upgrade later if needed. Excellent advice.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Depends on your shop. As general back of the envelope gauge, add up the rated amps in your shop figure that total as the max demand on the wire supplying your shop Only include the fixed machines. Then, decide how much you ever run at the same time. For my shop 3 machines is usually the max I have on at any given point.

e.g. Band saw, table saw and dust collector. The Dust collector uses (14amp), the Band saw uses (12amps) and the table saw uses (13amps). This example is 40 amps would be the max load. Or, I might run the Jointer (15), the Planer(15) and Dust collector(14amps). This example is 44 amps. So, in reality a 60 amp panel could run small shops if only one person is running the equipment. However, you still need convenience outlets. Ok then 100 amps would be nice to have as a single panel, but if your main is 100 amps you would want the sub panel under the main breaker rating ,,, or running 2-60 amp panels.

Again it depends on what you need what your main panel is (a 100a or 200a) and what you have in your shop.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Jeff, You've been to my shop and know what I have in it. My shop uses a 100 amp sub panel fed from the 200 amp main panel on the house. When I wired the shop, I made the 120 volt outlets alternate around the room in the order; 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. All the "1"s are on breaker 1, all the "2"s are on breaker 2, etc. This way if I'm working in an area and require say a power tool plus shop vac or light or all, and I use multiple outlets, I'm using different breakers. I also installed multiple 220 volt outlets around my shop so I could plug in most any 220v equipment anywhere I wanted/needed. I followed this routine in the garage as well. It uses more wire and thus costs more on the installation, but avoids tripped breakers and extension cords!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
It sounds like you need a dedicated 200 amp service. This would have its own meter, I did this to my shop. But, we need more information, are you planning on piggybacking off of the current home (assuming thats where this is) ?. If you are getting it from the house, You probably cant pull enough power to a dedicated subpanel that it sounds like you need. Call your power company, they are they to help, they can direct you on whats best for your situation.

Last edited:

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I only had 50 amps remaining from the 200 amp house main. Also my shop is about 200 ft from the house and the larger the wire the higher the cost. The wire to carry 50 amps was about $500 and 75 amps which was all left in the main was $700. Now that cost is probably double.
I generally run my Dust collector and 1 tool at a time and never had an issue. DC, table saw and band saw are all 220v. I do not have heat but in the summer run a 110v window unit simultaneously with no issues.
I do agree with others always plan for the future and go bigger. I would prefer to have 100 amps minimum

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Dont forget smaller equipment that could be constant while in the shop such as lights, small heaters if you dont have a mini-split, small (or large) refrigerator to keep some drinks cool, external lights etc. These all add up in addition to your tools.

My wife keeps talking about a small freezer for extra food storage.

Solar tech keeps improving. Might think about that option.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
It sounds like you need a dedicated 200 amp service. This would have its own meter, I did this to my shop. But, we need more information, are you planning on piggybacking off of the current home (assuming thats where this is) ?. If you are getting it from the house, You probably cant pull enough power to a dedicated subpanel that it sounds like you need. Call your power company, they are they to help, they can direct you on whats best for your situation.
Thanks to all for the input.

I am in discussions with Duke power and my electrician. I am considering dedicated service to the shop though it would require cutting a large tree and that added cost.as well as added monthly cost. Hence my informal survey to see what others have been able to do. Definitely getting 400 amps to the house, so running a subpanel from there is in the mix.

I am getting back to my electrician tonight, so if anyone has more to share please do.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
My shop has a 60 amp, 240V feed . Normal suspect tools, table saw (2.0 HP), band saw, drill press, air cleaner, 1.0 HP cyclone, 2.0 HP air compressor, metal cutting band saw, 15" planer, six inch jointer, stick welder, MIG welder, misc hand held tools, and 5K BTU window AC in addition to lights. Never in 40+ years have I blown the main breaker

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
My shop has a 60 amp, 240V feed . Normal suspect tools, table saw (2.0 HP), band saw, drill press, air cleaner, 1.0 HP cyclone, 2.0 HP air compressor, metal cutting band saw, 15" planer, six inch jointer, stick welder, MIG welder, misc hand held tools, and 5K BTU window AC in addition to lights. Never in 40+ years have I blown the main breaker
The problem is, you have to add up all the dedicated circuits to pass code. Just because all of your breakers exceed the mains capacity doesnt make it right, its very easy to do especially when you start adding 220v circuits. At the same time, it can still function fine no matter what even if overloaded.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
With the possibility of using two EV chargers I would just go with a 200 amp panel. Who knows what kind of power future EVs may be able to take.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a 60amp in my shop as well. It’s plenty of power but the issue is breaker space. 60amp panels don’t have a lot of circuits and 220v takes 2 of them out. Dedicated circuit for lights, dust collector, etc and you run out of breakers. You would never need 100amps because if you are like me, you only have a few tools running at once. So you are not drawing that much power. But 100amps give you a lot more circuits to spread out. Count up your circuits and I bet you get more than a 60amp will cover. A good approach also is to give yourself about 20%-25% unused/spares for future

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors