How I built my shop part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
My shop is now dried in and now it’s time to get the inside work done. I have installed all of the lighting, using 8’-2 tube fluorescents that I salvaged from a grocery store remodel and have put all the lights on motion sensors. All of the outlet circuits are in conduit run under the floor and are stubbed up where needed.The 200 amp service is installed and powered up with plenty of space for future needs. The lumber racks are done and the miter saw station is complete. I decided to install hardwood flooring in the work area and found oak flooring for a dollar a sq. ft. Not the best but the price was right.

Installing the floor—nothing hi-tech about this.

img068.jpg

img074.jpg

Once the floor was installed, I did have to fill in knot holes with a mixture of epoxy and sawdust.

img075.jpg

I rented a floor sander to sand it down before applying the finish.

img071.jpg

I built the railings for the loft and the stairway and was ready for my final building and electrical inspections.

shop042.jpg

I built this shop over a 3 year period at a cost of $10,000 for all materials, but there is still always work to be done in Mike’s One Man Shop.

shop043-1.jpg

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Mike,
I for one have enjoyed looking at the pictures of your shop going up, so Thank You. I do have one question that I ask everyone that has built a shop from ground up (me included) : What is the one big thing that you would change if you built a shop over ?

Thanks,

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Thanks Jimmy, I'm glad that you enjoyed it. I would guess that if I were to do it again I would like to make it bigger. I will be building an addition on the back for the heating and DC system which will free up some space in the work area.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Mike,
The shop I had built years ago was 18' x 36' ( made to be as inconspicuous as possible in a small yard) and I also would have wanted to go larger. I'm in a large pole barn style building now, and if I had built this I would have put radiant heat in the floor.

Thanks again for the series.

Bob Alexander

New User
Bob
Mike, your shop size makes mine seem a bit small. I moved to NC and had to make a 12 x 12 shed into a shop. We raised the roof to a ten foot height and put the tools on cabinets with storage underneath and casters. The scroll saw and miter saw are built into a 12 foot bench and fold down when not in use. The planer and drum sander will be mounted in outfeed height cabinets with rotating tops to use the tools and a joining mechanism that is still in the design phase to join the two cabinets to make an assembly table. We installed a square of four foot, two tube lights in the center of the building. The DC is going to hang on an outside wall in its own little compartment. We built a tool tower in one corner and in the opposite corner we have a lumber rack. It is surprising how much working space we have achieved with so little space to work with. We added an opposing door for ripping long stock and a trap door at work bench height to allow long stock to be cut on the miter saw. We are looking to replace the radial drill press with a heavy duty bench top model mounted on a cabinet with storage underneath. Cabinets will be hung on the wall over the workbench with strip lighting under them. I would post photos but need a bit of help with the process on this site.
I loved your shop photos and wish you happy woodworking in it.:wsmile::wsmile::wsmile:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Bob,
Welcome to the site, and if you get a chance go over to the "Who we are" forum and introduce yourself. I'm in a large shop now, but back in NJ I was working out of a basement that was about 12' x14' for years, so I know where you're coming from.

Big things can come from small shops.:icon_thum

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Bob
I also started out in a small shop but it wasn't until I began the production of my intarsia kits that I knew that more space was needed. The rental shop served it's purpose for many years but I knew that if I was really going to be happy I would have to have my own shop built the way I wanted. Shop size is not what makes woodworking fun.The fun is in the ability to create something that you can be proud of and the lessons that you learn on the way.All woodworkers share the common goal of wanting to try something new and share what we learn with others.There is always something new to learn.To me that is what makes it fun. Happy woodworking to all.

Bob Alexander

New User
Bob
Thanks for the comments. I'd love to see some pictures of your work. I have a friend in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, who does intarsa.
My nephew Don Alexander has been very helpful in creating our shop. He had a commercial cabinet shop before an auto accident caused him to lose the business about six years ago. Since then he has been in computers but his love of woodworking and the pride in doing a fine job has frustrated him.
We have just added two assembly tables that mount to the wall with a rabbeted edge to hold them there. They are designed so they can be mounted in either direction and can slide along the wall for maximum versatility. Don says it is now cabinet ready. We can actually assemble a cabinet that is 7+ feet high.
I am into making smaller things like thread towers, lamps, clocks, candlesticks, footstools, end tables, coffee tables and boxes.
Keep up the fine work.
This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.
Happy Mother's Day!:saw:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors