How I built my shop--Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
One of the challenges of building a timberframe structure was finding a reliable source for all of the timbers at a good price and having them cut on a schedule that suited my needs. I saw an ad in a local paper that advertised—lumber for sale for barns and sheds,custom cut,will deliver. I gave the man a call and told him what I was building and as it turned out he lived about 10 minutes from me and that he could mill everything I needed for the shop at a very reasonable price—.50bd ft for SYP,and .60 bd ft for oak. Wow what a deal. I ordered all of the girders for the floor system—6” x 8” x 8’and 10’ oak

Unloading first shipment of oak timbers

img048.jpg

After finishing all of the piers (21) each with a 1/2 “anchor bolt,termite flashing and PT sill plate I began fitting the girders with a 1/2 lap joint using my Trusty Jonsereds 49SP chain saw.

img049.jpg

Setting girders with help from son #1
img050.jpg

Making good progress

img053.jpg

After getting all of the main girders in place I began to put in the 4” x 6” SYP floor joists using ledger strips and spikes

img054.jpg

Nailing down the floor with help from FIL and son # 2

img055.jpg

Stay tuned for more of Mike’s one man shop

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Mike,

Part 2 is looking good. How are you handling the permit situation? Are the inspectors giving you help or hindrance?

Dan C.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
The inspectors were easy to work with .Only had to have 3 inspections--footings--electrical and final building , all passed with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors