How I built my shop--Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
When I went into business back in 1993 I had to move from my 8×10 shop in the back yard to a space I rented for $350 a month. I had recently gotten an order from Leichtung workshops for 440 of my Intarsia Project kits. The space I rented was a 750 sq. ft metal building in the middle of an industrial park and I knew that I didn’t want to stay there forever. The kits sold well for several years but it turned out to be a seasonal thing with the most sales being between October through March. I was still working my full time job as an electrician foreman doing commercial work in grocery stores and shopping centers so the rental space would sometimes not really pay for itself during the slack months.I would still go to the shop and draw new patterns and make new kits for the next season and build a few pieces of furniture, all the while honing my woodworking skills and techniques. I decided that the time had come to find a place to call my own if I was to continue with the woodworking. I began making a list of all the things that I would like to include in a new shop. I wanted to be able to build it myself relying on the experience that I gained from building log homes in North Carolina. When I grew up in Maine I loved the spaciousness of old barns that we used to play in as kids so I wanted to build a timber framed structure. I didn’t want a concrete floor because of back and knee ailments associated with years of working on concrete floors doing electrical work plus I wanted the crawl space to run the electrical and dust collection under the floor.I also wanted high ceilings and an upstairs for extra storage space.The place that we found to build the shop was for sale and the location was perfect. A 2300 sq. ft ranch on 1.3 acres at the end of a cul-de-sac with wetlands to the left and RR tracks behind and 2 empty lots to the right that wouldn’t perk Perfect!!. We bought the house but because of county ordinances I was limited as to the size of the footprint that the shop could be so I designed it to be 20’x 38’ which was smaller than I wanted but I could make bigger by having the second floor. I drew up some plans and specs for the county and all went well. So here is the pictorial sequence of the building of Mike’s One Man Shop. I started by building a scale model.

modelofshop001.jpg

The model really helped during the material take-off of what was needed to build the shop.

modelofshop002.jpg

I laid out the footings and rented a mini-backhoe to do the digging.

img045.jpg

Big Day—pouring the footings. Hope I measured everything right

img046.jpg

Free bricks, free sand and free mortar. I laid off the piers the old school way-- using a water level. First time I laid brick but had seen it done plenty of times. Not rocket science!!

img047.jpg

Next sequence—-Let the building begin.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Cool deal.. I like the prototype woodshop that you built, excellent idea. I am planning on building a shop of my own here soon and I have been trying to explain to my wife what it would look like, well here you go, build a prototype as you have.

I have the picture in my mind's eye and know exactly what it is gonna look like but this would help convey that image to her as well as serving a dual role of helping me with the lumber needed for the project.

Thanks for your time in posting the images and in sharing with us. :thumbs_up

Take care buddy, Chris

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like you're off to a good start.:thumbs_up
Careful, now. You'll give away all the construction trades secrets and then EVERYBODY will want to be in the business.
Oh - wait - they already are.:gar-La;

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Thanks for the details. I have a dream to build a 20x40 shop of my own someday so I will be wtching this with interest. What do you plan to use the second floor for?

T

toolferone

I couldn't agree more about the scale model. Here is mine below and it was invaluable in laying out my shop. Yours looks great! I am looking forward to seeing the the next segment.

Modelshop.jpg

wdkits1

New User
Mike
To Pete-- the upstairs is being used for household de-clutter space plus wood storage.

To Tom-- Man that is a nice model. I didn't go into that much detail with mine but is was great to do my material take-offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors