How do you carry tools to school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
LOML has talked me into taking a course at the Lonnie Bird School of Fine Woodworking. While I do dabble in furniture, most of what I do is building. Anything I need at a jobsite is in the trunk of the car. I don't mind if the framing hammer bangs up against the chalk box back there. This school will be a bit different. I'll drive out there and carry some good planes, chisels, and measuring tools. Don't think I want to toss a Lie-Nielsen into a bucket with a Starrett and let them rattle around.

How do you guys carry good tools? What kind of a container do you use? Appreciate any thoughts.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Old socks for planes. Chisels, I try to have caps to use or put them in socks as well, but bundle them together so they don't rattle/bang around.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
LOML has talked me into taking a course at the Lonnie Bird School of Fine Woodworking. While I do dabble in furniture, most of what I do is building. Anything I need at a jobsite is in the trunk of the car. I don't mind if the framing hammer bangs up against the chalk box back there. This school will be a bit different. I'll drive out there and carry some good planes, chisels, and measuring tools. Don't think I want to toss a Lie-Nielsen into a bucket with a Starrett and let them rattle around.

How do you guys carry good tools? What kind of a container do you use? Appreciate any thoughts.

Uhm... a toolbox? :gar-Bi

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Old socks for planes. Chisels, I try to have caps to use or put them in socks as well, but bundle them together so they don't rattle/bang around.

Travis,

The 'old socks' trick sounds great. I do have a canvas roll for the chisels... it's the planes I was worried about. Socks will do quite nicely for the smaller planes.

Thanx

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
LOML has talked me into taking a course at the Lonnie Bird School of Fine Woodworking.

How could you let her talk you into something like that?!? Don't let her push you around. Man up! Show her who's the boss!

:rotflm:

So, what course will you be taking?

pete

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Pete,

I'm signed up for the Woodworking Essentials. I've been a (volunteer) builder with Habitat for Humanity since the end of the 90s, which means my skills are more in the power tool and building area. I'd like to learn a bit more about hand tools and furniture-type joinery.

And before you ask, this was not intended to be a stealth gloat (although there does seem to be some implication of the perfect life partner, a class I get to take, and some new hand tools...). I thought I'd wait till I actually took the class and then would post a photo or ... 12.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Pete,

I downloaded the plan... but will all those hand cut dovetails, I'll need to attend the class in order to be able to build the box that will carry the tools to class :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS