How do I remove this bearing? (solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Trying to replace the bearings on my planer cutter head. I was able to remove the one on the pulley end of the cutter head using a 3 jaw gear puller.

The bearing on the other end is pressed into a recess in the gearbox case. The cutter head shaft goes through the case and seats into the bearing.

The instructions from Grizzly say to insert a screw into the end of the shaft and tap with a hammer to slide the shaft out of the bearing. I have tapped, pounded and pleaded with it, but it will not budge. I sprayed the shaft with penetrating oil yesterday and tried to tap it out. When that didn't work I sprayed some more penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. Tried again this morning and still no luck.

Some pictures:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20181018_105347.jpg
    20181018_105347.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 20181018_105335.jpg
    20181018_105335.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 20181018_105255.jpg
    20181018_105255.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 201
  • 20181018_105347(2).jpg
    20181018_105347(2).jpg
    230 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Re: How do I remove this bearing?

Did you put that bolt into the end of the shaft? If it was already there, remove it and possibly that cross piece part. Then try the method Grizzly said.

I can't tell from the picture if those parts were part of the assembly originally or not, but if not...

Last edited:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

The bolt in the end of the shaft was added by me, following the Grizzly instructions. Probably to protect the end of the shaft and the threads in the end of the shaft.
There is no cross piece on the end of the shaft. The end of the shaft has flats machined to accept a helical gear that is screwed onto the end of the shaft using the threaded hole that the bolt is now screwed into.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member

Can you use a brass drift pin from the back side to try and beat it out?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

No access to the back side of the bearing. It is pressed into a recess if the gear box case casting. The end shaft of the cutter head goes through the gear box casting and into seats in the bearing. The diameter of the cutter head blocks any access to the back side of the bearing. You can see the small gap between the cutter head and the gear box case in the first picture.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member

Take 2 small chisels (or screwdrivers, anything tapered), and insert between the end of the cutterhead and bearing. Insert them 180 degrees from each other and slowly and equally tap them in.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

Thanks everyone. Charlies plan worked like a charm. Thanks so much!

attachment.php

Now to put this thing back together.

Attachments

• 20181018_133923.jpg
    20181018_133923.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 188

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

Buy or rent a slide hammer at your local auto parts store (or online, they are handy for equipment maintenance and not all that expensive) to grasp the inner race and see if you can slide the bearing out and off the shaft (provided you plan to replace the bearing, which you will need to do anyhow if you’ve had to pound on the shaft). If that does not work, try heating the bearing (remove your bolt first if using heat with a slide hammer), the shaft should cool a bit faster than the bearing given its greater mass. To actually extract the bearing you may well need to remove the screw above if it is retaining the bearing.

Or at least that is what I would try. Interference fit parts are often a hassle to disassemble since heat may well have been used in the original assembly. You will likely also need heat to reinstall the new cbearings and remember that if you need to pound a bearing in you never want to apply force across the bearing balls (only hammer on the inner race when installing in the shaft and in the outer race when installing the bearing in its receiving cup (a common trick if you don’t have a bearing driver kit is to use appropriately sized ratchet sockets).

If all else fails take the assembly to a machine shop where they have presses and a lot more experience.

I wish you all the best as it can get frustrating sometimes since these are tasks most of us don’t get a lot of experience dealing with so we never get to learn all the tricks. God knows I’m familiar with the frustration!

Edit: I missed the final post, congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS