How 'bout a little "sneak preview"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
I love doing this!!! :mrgreen: I was just refining the seat shape a bit with the ol' gooseneck scraper, and then.... well, I just couldn't help myself! I just "had" to splash on a little mineral spirits for a little "sneak preview"...

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

I love walnut! :cool:

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Looks really GOOD! I did the same thing with my seat. I used paint thinner to bring up the color. My seat was cherry.
Have you ever used that carving tool to rough out the seat that looks like a chain saw on a 4 inch wheel. It really saves a lot of time, but cuts very fast, so you have to be careful not to remove too much. Also I drill "depth" holes" at various points to help me remove the right amount of wood. When I get to the bottom of the hole I stop removing wood.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Good tip Talley. I used my carving gouge to cut a groove in 4 different places to establish the depth and taper and then worked between them. I wondered about that chain saw tool also. After seeing how fast material comes off with the sander in the grinder, I'd really be scared of that chain saw attachment until I had a lot of practice with it.

DavidF

New User
David
That is looking really nice Insom - can't wait to see the whole thing. Good tip Tally; must remember that one..

woodguy1975

New User
John
Mtnman said:
Looks really GOOD! I did the same thing with my seat. I used paint thinner to bring up the color. My seat was cherry.
Have you ever used that carving tool to rough out the seat that looks like a chain saw on a 4 inch wheel. It really saves a lot of time, but cuts very fast, so you have to be careful not to remove too much. Also I drill "depth" holes" at various points to help me remove the right amount of wood. When I get to the bottom of the hole I stop removing wood.

They do remove material very quickly, but are wayyyyyyyyyy to dangerous for this kind of seat. The problem is if the outer perimeter (flat area) gets damaged there is no way to fix it. It is very easy to ruin the seat. We used the bandsaw to remove what wood we could using maloofs method, gouged out the bulk of the wood and established that nice taper, sanding with a grinder, and then they fine too with a rasp to level it out and gooseneck scraper to do the final edge shaping.

Monty did an excellent job on his seat. He's very impatient. :eyeslam:

John

woodguy1975

New User
John
What till I show you guys how to carve the front of the seat. It will really take shape then.

:icon_thum

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:lol: Toooo funny. Whenever I'm working on something, I have to increase my time estimate about 20% to cover the time that I spend looking at the color/figure with the help of naptha :-D ...especially if it's a 'new' wood for me :cool:

Chris

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
ok you other guys... how about some more sneak peeks at your seats! :rolf::rolf:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay, you better be talking about chair seats :oops: :oops: :eusa_naug

Insom. that looks awesome, beautiful color, grain and figure in that walnut. I can't wait to see the whole chair. It's gonna be beautiful.

Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Travis Porter said:
That is gorgeous. I believe you guys are making this out of Walnut. How does it compare to Mahogany?

Walnut and mahagony are fairly identical in the carving and shaping area as well as strength and weight. Walnut smaller pores so it doesn't require grain fill where mahogany does if you want a glass appeareance.

Walnut is just dirty with respect to dust in the shop. :)

See ya,

John

helmswatch

New User
Duke
Wow! Is that beautiful! Can't wait to see the completed project. I couldn't help but notice that the seat is an exact match for my butt! Ahhh Shucks....my birthday is coming up...how did you know?:lol:

Duke & Irene

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
That is looking great Monty.:icon_thum I can't what to see it with the actual finish is applied to it. That walnut is going to have some really nice depth to it.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors