how are wood chopsticks made

TBoomz

New User
Ron
Are these things turned or hand-carved? What woods are used? Plan on making a set as birthday gift for cousin and have no idea how to start.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
IIRC, as far as wood species, a few years back there was an article on TV about a company down in Plains, GA that was making them from sweet gum and exporting 1M per day to China, so species as long as it isn't toxic shouldn't be an issue.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I made a jig to hand plane square sticks into tapered octagon or round chop sticks.

55053905-0AEF-497E-80E6-8570F3C44AC4.jpeg

TBoomz

New User
Ron
what's considered a "comfortable" length to use? ...and weight.
And is the shape consistent end to end? I've only ever seen the cheap things handed out at asian - style restaurants. I've never seen a real set, up close.

Echd

C
User
Bridge City sells a ludicrously priced jig to make them. Watching a video makes it seem like a relatively easy setup to duplicate. Just a fixture to hold the stock, a "raceway" for a handplane, and a means to turn and secure the stock as you work the sides.

I would think for anything other than mass production, a lathe could do it very easily... unless I'm missing something.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Length anywhere from 9 to 12 inches. Up to 20 inches for cooking but usually around 18 inches. 5/15 square for eating or 3/8 for cooking. The top is usually square and tapers from there. Some transition into a round shape and some taper to an octagon shape. Chinese and Japanese style are different.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Bridge City sells a ludicrously priced jig to make them. Watching a video makes it seem like a relatively easy setup to duplicate. Just a fixture to hold the stock, a "raceway" for a handplane, and a means to turn and secure the stock as you work the sides.

I would think for anything other than mass production, a lathe could do it very easily... unless I'm missing something.
My jig was easy to make and is very easy to use. I made it before I had seen the Bridge City.

I am not skilled enough to make chop sticks on a lathe.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors