Hooked On Wood - Hongdui Miter Gauge

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
So.. after coming across the newly released Hook On Wood China tool review, (yes.. I know.. China, but please, let's not turn this post into politics, or how we need to buy 100% American, etc. I'd greatly appreciate it), my wallet is on the verge of opening up. Not something I need right now.

Anways..

Has anyone come across his video? If not, here is the link to it: Hooked On Wood - Hongdui Miter Gauge

I JUST bought my Incra Miter 5000, and I have an older Harvey Miter Gauge (which I am thinking about selling), and after watching Hooked On Woods video... I might be adding another miter gauge to my inventory.

You can buy the Hongdui miter gauge as a set (miter gauge and fence), or as individual pieces (miter gauge or fence).

What are your thoughts\opinions on the miter gauge?

Thanks!

Hongdui Miter Gauge Set (Currently, $282 shipped)
1697235130084.png

Hongdui Miter Gauge (Currently, $136 shipped)

1697235458736.png

Hongdui Miter Gauge (Currently. $146 shipped)
1697235520507.png
1697235530632.png

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Being pretty new at this I can't imagine the difference between all these higher dollar items. I thought the incra was pretty top end, certainly better than the stock gauges. What make this model Better than these others?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have the miter gauge paid 75 or 80 bucks when I got it. I also have the Harvey one. I use the Hongdui one on the Band saw and the Harvey on the Table saw. Both are China made. Both are excellent. Nicer feel to adjust than the Incra, but that may just be they are newest / latest toy I got. What I think is, the newest tools tend to have better machining specs on the finer finishes, but the quality of performances are basically the same.

Last edited:

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I think what we have here is a Chinese company making a quality product and pricing it accordingly. Chinese products in the past were made for a price point and the quality was not always there. CNC machining makes everything precise so once the production is set up the goods will be made and sold to whoever can afford them.

Roy G

Dbush714

DB
User
I can’t speak specifically to the miter gauge and fence in question, but I have been following Dennis at “hooked on wood“ and his China tools ranking for some time now. I have found his reviews to be pretty spot on and straightforward. He takes quite a bit of time to do a thorough analysis. (Much of what Roy said is his basic thesis as he is usually comparing against very well known (expensive) brands and their quality and trying to see if the price spread is truly justifiable, especially to a hobbiest.)

I have made several purchases based on his recommendations and have been very satisfied with all of them. The only thing I would say is that Banggood.com is a bit slower on deliveries than we’ve become accustomed to with Amazon and others in the US. Other than that, no complaints. (I did note during the review the fence comes with standard measurement as well as metric on the fence.)

David

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
FYI, the current issue of Fine Woodworking has an extensive review and rating of about 15 miter gauges. One of the Incra models and Rocklers came out as best value

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS