Homemade "Anchorseal"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
So I was watching Woodsmith Shop the other day and they were doing some laminated bending. They mentioned, almost in passing, treating the mold with a release agent made from wax and solvent, which got me thinking :widea: about making the stuff, both for mold release and for end grain sealing on green lumber.

I found some references to disolving paraffin in thinner or Naptha. Anyone tried this? Have a recipe for it?

Thanks!
C.

Glennbear

Glenn
I have not heard of a sealer recipe but it makes sense. I know that several folks here do make a similar batch of goop to put on cast iron surfaces to prevent rusting. Many years ago I used a commercial wood preservative that seemed to be wax in a solvent carrier but I cannot recall the brand. :wsmile:

jdulaney

New User
John
I use bees wax for release agent (unless I'm doing something with epoxy, more on that later), for long-term protecting tools (I use mineral oil on tools I use more often), and for end grain.

If you're using epoxy for laminating, it doesn't stick to clear packing tape. Back when I built boats, I just wrapped packing tape around whatever surface was touching the wood and could possibly become epoxied. It worked just fine, was cheap, clean, and left no residue that had to be sanded off later.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use a MS and grated Gulfwax mix in a spray bottle on my Cast Iron. You can disolve it easily in MS as long as it is warm (>60 degrees). In the winter I have to store it indoors because it solidifies. I have made a thick mixture in a pinch for sealing some green lumber. Anchorseal is much easier but is about 10 times more expensive. A double boiler works well if you run out of MS.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Mark - what solvent/wax ratio do you use? I've seen a couple of references which seemed to indicate 1:1.

Thanks!
C.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
For sealant I used 4 blocks grated into a stainless mixing bowl and added MS a little at a time until it just dissolved. I would guess it was a little more than 1:1. It doesn't make much. For my CI spray I use Junqecol's recipie of half a block to 8oz of MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS