Hitachi Brad Nailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I've got a heavily used Hitachi 50AE brad nailer that came along with another purchase. I finally got around to testing it this weekend and discovered it's got a problem with depth adjustment. I can't turn the depth adjustment knob (it's jammed somehow) and, even though it appears to be on it's lowest (deepest) setting (when you press the tip against the wood it goes all the way down) the brad, when fired into a standard 2/4, stands proud of the surface about 1/8" of an inch.

So.... Can it be easily fixed? Is it worth it? Suggestions as to what the fate of the tool should be? I've got a newly reconditioned Bostich brad nailer so it's not a big loss... Thoughts/Advice?

Hitachi_50AE.jpg

View image in gallery

Travis

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Travis,

How much air pressure are you using? Should be 90-100 psi to sink the brad into a piece like that.

Bob

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Travis,

How much air pressure are you using? Should be 90-100 psi to sink the brad into a piece like that.

Bob

Was set to around 100 on the compressor. Same compressor setting on the Bostich easily buries the brad in the piece (same brads, same piece).

Travis

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
sounds like it needs a new driver. may or may not be worth repairing. I think they sell new for around 70 bucks. I like my hitachi better than the others I have but if it stops working I wont fix it. too cheap to replace.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
sounds like it needs a new driver. may or may not be worth repairing. I think they sell new for around 70 bucks. I like my hitachi better than the others I have but if it stops working I wont fix it. too cheap to replace.

Thanks for the info Fred. Is that something I can do myself or would it take professional servicing? I've got another brad nailer so I'm not planning on putting too much effort into it.

Travis

Skymaster

New User
Jack
isnt too tuff to replace the the driver; that said if it was run hard enuf to bust the driver I dont think you have found all the issues buried within. I think best bet is to call Hitachi service, most if not all mfg's have flat rates to rebuild and compare that rate to a new one. At least if you have them rebuild it than it has a guarantee and should get back in almost new WORKING condition, they wont pretty em up :gar-Bi

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
isnt too tuff to replace the the driver; that said if it was run hard enuf to bust the driver I dont think you have found all the issues buried within. I think best bet is to call Hitachi service, most if not all mfg's have flat rates to rebuild and compare that rate to a new one. At least if you have them rebuild it than it has a guarantee and should get back in almost new WORKING condition, they wont pretty em up :gar-Bi

Good thinking. As I mentioned earlier the depth setting wheel is also jammed, so that's at least 2 things. I guess it's worth a phone call to Hitachi.

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS