High-gloss Tung oil vs Low-gloss & Poly

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
I am fiishing my Teak picture frame with a couple of applications of Low-gloss Tung Oil then will follow with some oil base poly to get some gloss. I used this same method on some Walnut and really like the result.

I am new to using Tung oil and I really like the way it brings out the grain patterns in dark wood. I bought Low-gloss because of the particular project I was doing. At the moment that is all I have.

I am wondering for future projects whether there would be an appreciable difference in look using High-gloss Tung oil only.

Brian

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have used Formby's low gloss Tung Oil Finish on quite a few projects. If you apply several coats (5-6 or more) you can acheive a very nice glossy sheen without the plasticy (that's a real word) appearance. Just keep adding additional coats until you get the gloss you are looking for.

I have found that the high gloss tends to be a little too glossy for my tastes.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Most Tung Oil finishing products are primarily a wiping varnish. Unless it says "pure Tung Oil or 100% Tung Oil you are getting very little Tung Oil, if any (often BLO is used instead).
Low gloss finishes have flattening agent added to lower the sheen. Multiple application of low gloss can get a muddy look to them. It's best to build your finish with the gloss version and then apply a few coats of low gloss to reduce the sheen.

Dave:)

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Thanks guys. Is there any potential problem with what I am doing by covering over the Tung oil (it is Formby's and it is not pure) with poly?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No, no problem. Although you could save a little money and give your wood some color with BLO and then use the poly as a top coat. Or try a sample with just poly, or even better a long oil varnish (for later repair-ability) and see if you get the same coloration.

Dave:)

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>>> Is there any potential problem with what I am doing by covering over the Tung oil (it is Formby's and it is not pure) with poly?

As said, the Formby's is not real tung oil and contains no real tung oil at all. It's a thinned wiping varnish made with alkyd resin and soya oil.

Being an oil based varnish it can be over coated with any other oil based finish including poly varnish. But the question is why? As said, Formby's is a varnish just like poly is a varnish. The polyurethane is added to varnish to make it somewhat more scratch resistant. I can't see why a poly varnish would be needed for a picture frame. Poly is fine for a kitchen table or floor but a non-poly varnish like Formby's will give you a nicer looking finish than poly.

Just apply a couple of more coats of the Formby's and declare victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS