High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retiredmarine20

New User
John
Has anybody out there ever built one of these chairs? It is called a KinderZeat.
images

:BangHead: Wife seen it and now I must build it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Never built one, but it looks like a very interesting design. I had to go Googling to get any information about the design. It's very adjustable and looks like it would be the perfect child to adult seat. As far as construction is concerned I would definitely use either a screwed/glued half-lap or a M&T joint at the bottom. Getting the back-set angle just right is going to be tricky. If you can find a local place that sells them I would go there and get some measurements. My biggest question is what keeps the seat & foot rest firmly in place in the dadoes. They have to be adjustable by design, but I would want them to lock in and not be able to slide back or forth. You might be able to find more information here.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Dave:)

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Has anybody out there ever built one of these chairs? It is called a KinderZeat.
images

:BangHead: Wife seen it and now I must build it.

Great timing:icon_cheers

I am getting ready to apply the 2nd top coat of gel urethane on one that I built using that photo as the guide. I have some measurements and angles that I calculated as well as tips that I can share when I get some more time and relocate my shop notebook.

FYI the seat and the foot rest are held in place via compression. It is hard to see in the photo but there are two pieces of threaded rod sleeved by black plastic; those get tightened and pull the sides in. I assembled mine before the "dye/shellac/gel stain/clear stain" process and can tell you that it is sturdy and will support me.

For the leg joint I used half-lap joints that I pegged with two 3/8" dowels just to be sure and built the entire piece out of QSRO but would consider RSRO next time as all four sides of every piece of wood are exposed.

I milled the lumber to 5/8" thickness (thickest consistent measurement I could get away with, but appropriate dimensionally) but for the back I glued up two pieces of 7/8" stock matching the grain then cut the curved profile on the band-saw to 1/2" thick. The back pieces were joined with mortise and tenon then doweled from the bottom to get some good bite so that I could drill and tap them to accept the screws (this thing has to be able to be loosened up to be adjustable). The bottom cross-brace was also joined with M&T but I was able to dado out a groove to accept threaded rod and threaded end-caps (again this thing has to be able to be loosened). I then cut a piece of scrap to fill the bottom of the cross-brace just for strength so that I now have a channel through the piece to hide the threaded rod.

When I find my notebook I will give you the rest of the details (dims, angles, etc).

Good luck!

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
OK, so my notebook is still missing but I took a few measurements for you:

The horizontal "base" from tip to tail is 19" and 3" tall
The angled "riser" is 34" from tip to tail and 2 1/2" tall
The dados are 1 3/8" on center
The top of the seat in the highest dado is 22 1/4" above the floor
The width overall is 18"
The depth of the curved back slats are 1 1/2"
The depth of the seat is 9 1/2"
The depth of the foot rest is 12 1/2"
The cross piece that is at floor height is 2 1/2" tall
The angle of the "riser" is 64.5 deg. to the horizon
The angle of the seat and foot rest are 2 deg. to the horizon angled toward the back so that you don't feel like you are falling out of the chair

If you have any other questions just let me know; sorry I don't have a drawing.

Retiredmarine20

New User
John
Thanks. Thats a good start for me. I think I am gonna try to make a template/test out of scrap before I try the one for the kid. Can't have the crumbsnatcher taking a nose dive in to the floor!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS