Hide Glue - Warming up large bottle, disposal?

Scott H

Scott
User
I got the big 20 oz bottle of Old Brown hide glue to try out... thought it would be more economical than the small bottle. But I'm running into a couple issues.
  • The bottle is very tall, taller than any of the pans I have... I tried filling a tall pan up with water, heating to 150 F on the stove and letting it sit, but it seemed like it'd take forever to actually get the whole bottle up to ~140 F range since only half of it is in the water. I'm worried about using hotter water as it says not to overheat. I've just been taking off the cap and squeezing a blob out by hand and warming up that small quantity instead, but as I use more of the bottle this gets more and more difficult. I don't have a hot pot or a sous vide or anything temp controlled to just leave it sitting in... any recommendations?
  • If I have water that got some hide glue residue in it does anyone know if you can put that down the drain or should I dispose of it some other way? For example I cleaned hide glue out of a brush with hot water. I don't want this stuff congealing in pipes. I'm on Raleigh city water if that matters.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
I bought a soup pot (maybe from BB&B) which I use for warming the glue which I mix and put in a jar.
Usually just need a very small amount for repairs, so it stays in the refrigerator until needed. In a hurry? I've preheated in the microwave, but very careful not to over do it.
Mini crock-pot was less than $20,

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Scott, you can decant the OBG into a smaller container, a glass jelly jar works well. You can use a pot on the stove partially filled with water with meat thermometer to keep track of the water temperature, place the glass jar with the OBG in the heated water. OBG doesn‘t need to be heated to 145 F to become a liquid IIRC, something around 110 - 120 F should do the job, just enough to get the glue liquid

I don’t dispose of any hide glue in the sewer, it goes in the garbage. Cannot imagine water with a small amount of hide in it would be an issue.

Scott H

Scott
User
Storing, heating and using it in a series of small containers sounds like a good idea, simplifies a lot of things. Plus it would still be beneficial if I got a temp controlled soup pot, probably increases my options there as I wouldn't need a deep one. At that point I really don't need the big bottle any more, just have to mark the small containers with the expiration date. I'll see how hard it is to squeeze out the last of the hide glue from the big bottle, I guess worst case I can cut it open if I can't get it all to flow.

Interesting point about the lower liquid temp for Old Brown, I guess that makes sense as it is already closer to a liquid at room temp to begin with.

And yeah I am only looking at getting rid of water with a tiny tiny amount of residue in it, enough that it's barely visibly tinted. Actual glue is definitely going in trash. I also found one person online that said they dump water w/ very dilute glue in their garden.

I also think some of my problems with getting the bottle to flow this morning must have been from the fact I forgot to turn on heating and it was 50 something degrees inside... didn't notice it was that cold until after the fact.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you can find a glass jar/jug/pitcher that's tall enough for the bottle, you can microwave some water for a minute or two, then put the bottle inside. I keep my Old Brown Glue in the fridge, so that's what I do when it's time to refill my small glass jar.

I bought a wax warmer from the local beauty supply shop, and an empty tin wax container. I put the jar of glue in the wax container, and enough water to come halfway up the side, then put the container into the warmer.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I mix batches of regular hide glue and put into small plastic bottles with Yorker caps and throw in the fridge. I use a small crock pot/slow cooker. On low it holds about 145 degrees. Just fill with water and throw the bottle in.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
The Olde Brown Glue does not need to be heated to 145 F. That is the mixing temperature to get solid granuales so dry hide to liquid. All you need to do is put the plastic bottle in the water as it heats up and it will be good. Unlike some earlier advice given, do not put a cold jar in hot water with glue in it - it can crack the glass and you have nothing.

Scott H

Scott
User
The Olde Brown Glue does not need to be heated to 145 F. That is the mixing temperature to get solid granuales so dry hide to liquid. All you need to do is put the plastic bottle in the water as it heats up and it will be good. Unlike some earlier advice given, do not put a cold jar in hot water with glue in it - it can crack the glass and you have nothing.

I am trying to avoid glass jars anyway, I had an accident earlier this year where one broke and I fell on a shard, not keen to have more of them around the shop.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use the small plastic specimen jars that one uses at the doctors office. I fill a dozen or so with hide glue and freeze. When I need some I put the jar in a small heater

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
What? to liquify? Not that much
Screenshot 2021-12-23 at 10-06-21 All FAQs.png

LINK: All FAQs

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS