Hidden treasure

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Since joining this group and paying attention to all the sharp blades out there, I look at the world completely differently now . Thurs I noticed a newly arrived pallet of product in our warehouse . It was a larger than normal pallet and very rough but I thought I could see some nice wood underneath the roughness. I took it apart and carried it home

pallet3.jpg

ran it through the planer

pallet4.jpg

pallet5.jpg

Then practiced some joinery

pallet.jpg

pallet2.jpg

Small potatoes to most of ya and I still got a lot to learn , but 3 months ago I would have walked right past that pallet and never gave it a second look :nah:
Just want to say thanx again for all the guidance and the patience :notworthy:
This site ROX !!!!! :icon_thum

Thanx for lookin :mrgreen:

cskipper

Cathy
Conrockulations! That's quite a find and a great joinery! I can relate to the new perspectives given by this group. I'll never forget changing my view of growing trees to looking for burls - lol!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Grasshopper you have come a long way and done good. Heck I am starting to look at my firewood pile thinking it would be a sin to burn the wood.

This site ROCKS because of all the good people.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like another case of chronic WGD. Better alert the authorities before it gets to the epidemic stage!:gar-La;

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
And the folks cried loudly, "YOU ROCK."

Do not overlook the hardware you sometimes see on pallets. I scored about 18 L-shaped brackets, 1/8" metal, about 3" wide. Someday that will be reinforcing some corners.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
"and the sound of the planer and jointer was heard through the land!"

Nice job , Big Man! That talent of yours can definitely be applied in more places than the scroll saw!

Keep it up!

Glennbear

Glenn
I have a confession to make, I have a severe case of WRD (wood recycling disease) and having given a few members some of my stash of recycled wood from wooden bleachers I fear I have infected others. The evidence of this spreading infection shows in this thread since NCScroller and Sawduster are both recipients of said wood and are showing signs of infection. Great job Robert:eusa_clap, FREE WOOD IS GOOD :gar-Bi This disease manifests itself primarily by the inability to walk past ANY piece of used wood without thinking how it could be recycled. :eusa_thin I would caution however, the purchase of a metal detector can save one from the unwanted side effect of trashed blades from tramp metal in your finds.:wsmile:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Free and recycled wood is good wood that is for sure!

My only advice is be careful of sand, dirt, and hidden metal as they are the enemy of your jointer and planer knives. DAMHIKT

5Etek-mike

New User
Michael Lemings
Wow! So, THAT'S what it's called..."WRD"! I can finally consider myself diagnosed! That's one thing I respect so much about wood; how it many times finds very unique ways of disguising itself as old, dried up, rotting, timber that no one would want anything to do with..until one of us affected with WRD can see right thru the disguise. Great find! :icon_thum

cskipper

Cathy
Heck, I used to raid the wood fire pile at HHNK when they were in business! Every time I drive by a tree that has been cut down that has interesting looking wood my car wants to pull off to the side and collect it. The cut down part is not really necessary when kooking for burls.

Michael - fair warning, WG (WoodGuy) disease reaches waaaay into tools as well as wood.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have thought about using old pallets many times but am scared I will miss a nail or staple.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I was hoping someone would identify it for me , ya'll being mind readers and all :rotflm: ....I forgot to ask that question :embaresse
Is sweet gum OK to work with ? i know it sure is purdy

George , the pig pickin turned into a " redneck woodstock " , but we made it happen all the same :icon_thum Put a tarp over the equipment, waited out the rain, dried the stage and went to it .......and no one got electrocuted :mrgreen:

Thanx , Travis for the sage advice :thumbs_up I was very conscientious of metal in the wood but never gave a thought to sand and dirt :nah:

J

jeff...

Duster - Scott nailed it - that sure does look at lot like red gum to me...

I don't think it's poor mans walnut (black gum) also called tupelo by fancy folk. I think you got red gum (the better of the gums)... and yep it's good to work with - once dry and dressed it's just as stable as anything else out there.

Heres a little info for you
http://www.ibiblio.org/pic/NCTrees/sweetgum.htm

Thanks

sapwood

New User
Roger
. . . .
Thanx , Travis for the sage advice :thumbs_up I was very conscientious of metal in the wood but never gave a thought to sand and dirt :nah:

Sage advice.
I picked up some beautiful 8/4 rough cut boards on the beach a few years ago. Bandsawing went ok, but planing was not a good idea :BangHead:
Even half way through the thickness the sand was uh, polishing my blades :tinysmile_cry_t:

Roger

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
I'll defer to the experts Robert, but I think the wood looks a lot like the ambrosia maple I purchased through my ww class at Klingspor's. (For the table I still haven't finished by the way lol).

Here's a link to the pics ... so you can compare:

Will

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I've found just about everything in pallets, I've even found mahogany!!! There was a place close to where I lived in Tn that got a lot of larger stuff from overseas, and apparently they have a lot of really nice wood there to make boxes out of. It's free, and good stuff if you look carefully enough for nails and staples. I've found nice oak, both red and white, and walnut in big enough pieces to make a bed for my son. Now I hardly ever pass a pallet without looking it over. Good score!!!!

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
You wanna talk about WRD,at work when we were still disposing of all the wood and pallets the monthly total was anywhere between 10 and 15 tons of wood a month.I have a variety of items built from white oak that comes from one of our vendors in 3by 6,4 by 4 and 6 by 8 planks that go up to 12 foot.Alot of our employee's have built out buildings and never spent a dime till they got to the roof.We are setting up a sorting building and recycling program but if anybody ever wants to go in there and haul out a load let me know.Our 5000 lb motors and airends come on skids with triple 8 x 8 's as runners.You can't lift it:elvis: off the ground without a forklift.:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS