http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96168

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96164

Regards.

Pinwu

gator

George
Corporate Member
I agree that the Stanley clone is about as good as the original, but the HF knock-off may end up being one of those HF Hidden Gems at half the price.

George

sapwood

New User
Roger
Interesting. I've never seen anything like that. From the description the HF model and the 12" Garret Wade use a maple ruler edge-bound by brass. Will it maintain accuracy? Of course, I frequently use a wooden carpenter's ruler :eusa_thin

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin I'll be at HF on Sunday. That does look like it could be a handy thing to have :eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin

Dave:)

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
I did call the Raleigh, asked them about the item
number of the 6" version, was told they don't have
it. :(
This seems to be an "I want it" item.
Some on the woodnet forum had ordered from HF's
web, some were lucky being able to find the 12"
version from HF local store.

Good luck.

Pinwu

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
it being nice or not still makes it no less confusing as to its purpose....??? How does one use such a toy?

gator

George
Corporate Member
it being nice or not still makes it no less confusing as to its purpose....??? How does one use such a toy?

When Stanley made the first ones 100+ years ago, all carpenters carried one in their apron/tool pouch or pocket. It was really handy to get 45° and 90° angles, quick small measurements for trim work, for scribing and marking. That is where it got it's original name of "Odd Job #1", it did all sorts of odd jobs and was shaped line a 1.

George

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Call me a curmudgeon, but to me it's just another useless tool that winds up never being used because it is not particularly good at any one thing. Too small to be truly useful as a square, awkward as a scribe, short as a ruler, heavy to put in your apron or worse yet, your pocket. There is a reason why Stanley stopped making them - they weren't selling. To me, this is another one of those doodads that the retailers put out as Father's Day approaches to be foisted off on unsuspecting children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS