HF Forestner Drill Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRock

New User
Gil
DCP00698.jpg

I'm I'm certainly no expert, so take my opinion as such. A good while back, I purchased this set from HF:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search

IIRC I caught them on sale for $19.99, I think they are a bargain still at the regular $29.99 price. I've looked at similar sets in WW stores and their import ones seem to less "finished" than the HF I got.

Here's some sample holes in spalted red oak. I glued three 3/4 pieces together and drilled through from the face side and from the edge side. Planning to make a couple wine bottle holders and this will be the hole the bottle neck goes through.

Drills seem to cut well, but these are the only ones I have tried. Holes cut through very clean on the ID and the start side, if I needed to use the breakout side, I would have clamped up a sacrificial piece. Drill was started and stopped in the hole in the picture as I was operating the camera and the DP, otherwise, hole would have been cleaner yet.

I do like the hex shanks too, it may take a fraction of a sec longer to get it in the chuck, but the grip is much better than with smooth shanks......such that hand tightening is OK if you are reasonable with the feedrate.
The fitted case is pretty well made and the plactic caps for the ends should help keep the drills sharp.

DCP00691.jpg

DCP00693.jpg

DCP00695.jpg

DCP00699.jpg

DCP00700.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've had a set of their sawtooth bits for 12-15 years and still use them. I also have a smaller set of true forstners for when I need flat bottom and shouldered holes.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great review Gil, thanks for putting it together for us. I was thinking I had the same set but mine do not have the hex shaft on the end. Now I am not sure where I picked them up from but they cut very well also.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Nice review! I got a cheap set of forstners from Northern Tools, but yours looks nicer.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have a set I purchased from them a while back and they have always worked pretty well. One thing you may want to check is the actual diameter of the bore. I have found some discrepancies when boring for dowel placement. The dowels fit loosly when fitted in a hole bored with the HF bits, but fit snggly in holes bored with a Freud bit. They may have improved since I bought mine.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Nice review Gil. I had considered getting a set a while ago, but passed 'cause I wasn't quite sure about the HF drill bits. good to know they will do the job well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS