Help with word art please

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
What program do you guys use when making a word art saying? Steve Good had posted "You can agree with me or you can be wrong". I knew the layout left some pretty weak places but tried it anyway. Used 1/2" thick maple, cherry & walnut and they all three broke at the same place. Yesterday I finally got back to being ready to sand them and use a backer, but have, of course, misplaced the "ith" from the word with. I did send Steve a note this a.m. asking him to re-align it for better overall support. Meanwhile, I realize that I really need to learn how to make the patterns by myself. Suggestions?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have only done one and used MS Word. I just played with font size, spacing and font type. I also am interested in what other use.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use photoshop for all my graphics. I know some advertising/logo designers who use Illustrator, but I work in lower resolution for textiles so Illustrator is not that much more useful for me.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Most of my names I use word and use script mt italic font and anywhere from 125 to 450 size.I join all letters and beef up a few weak spots.
Tony

Glennbear

Glenn
I have not yet fiddled with word art yet myself but Sawduster had made me a word art plaque so I am sure he has some flexible software. Hopefully he will chime in with a resource for you. When it is my turn I will be calling CA to pick my daughter's brain since she is the one with the degree in Electronic Media, Arts and Communication and I am still paying off her college loans. :gar-La;

Last edited:

RickC

New User
Rick
If you don't have the Microsoft products, you can get the same feature using the free Open Office suite. Choose the "Impress" application and look for Fontwork at the bottom. Look for the lett "A" in a frame. (Impress is the OO equivalent of PowerPoint.) Just another option for the "frugal" woodworker!

dlrion

New User
Dan
Cathy, Steve Good has a program that you can download from his website that does nothing except wordart...

Have you already tried this?

Dan

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Wordart in Word2007

Wordart is in Word2007. If you don't have it, then you might go back and try doing a full install of Office2007, or whatever you have. All too often, the standard or partial program installs leave nice features of these programs off.

Wordart has an advanced version in PowerPoint2007 and Excel2007, so if you have those programs, you might want to take a look.

sawduster

New User
Robert
pulled this from the SSWC forum ....hope it helps :icon_thum

Creating Word Art using Word

by Dave Danchuk

WORD TUTORIAL for beginners

2 ways

For flat letters all in one line:

Choose your font and size and write your letters. Highlight all you've just written and right click on it. Choose the "Font" tab, then choose the "Character Spacing" tab. Under the Spacing category change "Normal" to "Condensed" then it says "By 1 pt", change that until your letters touch by either clicking on the down arrow , or typing in another number. (try between 5 and 6 for the Hobo font, more or less for others) Oh, make sure you're going the right way, and expanding the font. Take a look at it and see if it's the right spacing. Now to add a line at the top or bottom (if you've got spaces in between words, go to the "autoshapes" at the bottom and click on the "box" shape (or just print it off and grab a ruler and pencil) and make yourself a box to fit the letters on to. Right click on the box and under "Color and Lines", change the color to black and/or the "Style" to a good thickness. Click and hold one of the buttons of the box to move it to under (or over) the letters, so that everything in your phrase is connected.

For rounded phrases/names:

Click on the blue shadowy A at the bottom (or go to Insert-Picture-Word Art) I chose the one on the top left corner (you can bend it later.) Type in your name or phrase (hit enter after every new line you want (ie. first name <enter> last name). I like using capital letters, but there's a button for getting them all the same height. Bold is good but not necessary. Choose your font here as well, the NP Hobo Medium is what I've been playing with. Hit enter.

There's your text with back outline of white letters, and a popup window or new bar at the top with some options. Play around with them, but here's a quick cheat sheet.

Go to the "Edit Text" button. Under the "Color and lines" tab, change the fill color to black. Click okay. Looks familiar huh. Now to get the letters to touch each other, go to the button that says AV with arrows under it. Click "Very tight"

So now you can bend stretch, and twist the letters. there's white boxes around the corners of your phrase, pull them around. There's also a yellow diamond, move this and see what happens. Now go to the "abc" button and play with those, the circle with the line through it is excellent for 3 lines of text, but try them all out. Also under the button with the horizontal lines, try the stretch justify button.

You might want to have a separate "word Art" window for each line you want as you can more freely rotate and stretch them to fit together so that the pattern will be scrollable.

To add the arrows and circles (or other assorted shapes that will connect all your pieces together) use the "Autoshapes" button or one of the other buttons to the right of that (bottom of the screen) Now when you add one of those, some of your font goes behind your new shape. Right click on your new shape, under the "order" heading, choose "send behind text.

...and there ya have it. Play around with it, be creative and have fun! You'll never need to buy a Wedding present again, I've scrolled quite a few, with the Bride and Grooms name and their wedding date below, and the response has been GREAT. (and that way the guys can see the date and never forget an anniversary, also a very good thing)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Senior moments..................! Just re-read my reply!

To see if you have it:
Open Word (default doc)
Click INSERT and look over to the right for WORDART box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS