Help with terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
On wider glued up boards, as in a table or trunk top, one might find two or more stout pieces fastened underneath, cross-grain, to help prevent warping or whatever. Similar to a caul.
I can not, however, recall the correct term for these members?

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Be careful how you attach those.

You read mind mind, learning the correct term was precursor to [posting a question about attachment.
It would seem like any end attachment points that were strong enough to help keep the surface flat would have to be so strong as to preclude allowing movement in the top.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
On wider glued up boards, as in a table or trunk top, one might find two or more stout pieces fastened underneath, cross-grain, to help prevent warping or whatever. Similar to a caul.
I can not, however, recall the correct term for these members?

Those pieces are often referred to as "cleats". In my way of thinking, they should be equal or greater in thickness than the material they are fastened to. Fasten the center screw with no room for movement and all holes toward the outside should be elongated to allow for movement. That method forces equal movement in each direction from the center. Just my opinion.:)

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS