help with slow drying wood glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Jordan

New User
Art
I need to arrange multiple (32) pieces of wood on a board and still adjust them while the glue is drying. Therefore I need some really slow drying wood glue.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Titebond 3 has a slightly longer set time than 1 or 2 but it sounds like you are looking for longer. Epoxy comes in various set times and is probably your best option. Try out whatever adhesive you are using first on scraps if it is a new product to you. West system is often recommended. I use System 3's epoxy products and keep various set times in my cabinets.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Tire bond also has a glue formulated for moldings that has an immediate tack time but a 3 hour set time. I have used it for setting rings for open segmented turning I do not recall the exact name but it is a white glue and the label is tan gold and white

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I like to make boxes with box joints, but I never seemed to be able to get the larger ones together fast enough to keep Titebond II from setting up on me. It was a made race that I lost a few times. Tirebond III was a little better, but it was still a mad race. Then I tried Titebond Extend and haven't lost the race since. It still requires moving quickly, but I get to win.

I've thought about trying hyde glue, but I prefer a more moisture resistant glue.

Charley

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Titebond Liquid Hide Glue has a working time of 20-30 minutes at 70 degrees and much longer at >90 degrees. http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx?id=9e9995b4-08eb-4fc6-8254-c47daa20f8ed Old Brown Glue liquid hide glue is also an extended open time hide glue that is similar.

Fish glue has a very long working time 1 1/2 - 2 hours and cleans up easily with water until it dries hard and is not hazardous like epoxy can be. If what you are making will not get wet it works great and is as strong as hot hide glue. Norland makes the fish glue that LV and other companies resell. It lasts a long time in the freezer and can be thawed and refrozen. https://www.norlandprod.com/fishgel/hightack.html

If the pieces are thin you can pre coat them with regular original Titebond, let them dry to a tacky but not hard state, put them where you want and use a hot clothes iron to re-activate the glue.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Cascamite powdered resin wood glue has been my favorite for years when it comes to slow set up and a very durable wood glue. Not as waterproof as resorcinol in my experience, but close enough for most uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS