Help with router H.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Bought a router table with a PC router in a table some time back for a good price and have used it for T and G stuff without probs...Now I am thinking of using for raised panel doors. I am not sure of the H.P. and I know I will need to reduce the speed. It is marked as a PC Heavy Duty Motor 6912, 10 amp, 23,000 rpm. with a built in base # 6911. I cannot find info. on-line.

Anybody know the H.P.? is this suitable for raised panels? can I hook up a speed control without burning down the shop?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :dontknow:

2slow

New User
chris
I think it is a 1.75 hp router. I dont know anything about speed controls. If a speed control works, I think it could be used for raised panels if you take shallow passes.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Raised panels typically are made using 3+ hp routers. A 2-1/2 hp router can get the job done providing cuts are made in small increments, but not with the durability and dependability of the larger routers (I own two 3-1/4 hp Tritons for this very purpose). Since panel raising bits can be up to 3-1/2" diameters equating to a lot of steel spun at high speeds (reduced to 10000-12000 rpm requiring also a router with a variable speed option), panels must be raised from a router installed IN A ROUTER TABLE ONLY.

I encourage you to purchase a book or video to review the process and pick up some tips. Good luck, and happy WWing.

Bob

tkpinsc

New User
Tod Parks
An alternative is to use a vertical raised panel bit if you don't want to upgrade routers.

JWBWW

New User
John
Porter Cable's 690 is 1.75 hp... if that means anything. But more importantly, the 690 motor will raise panels well with not too much trouble at all. If you're going to begin production... making ten to twenty doors a day... I'd opt for a proper 3+ hp router (PC 7518 Speedmatic) or shaper. But for infrequent applications there are few routers as reliable as the PC 690 (that's the motor you have I believe). As long as a motor has brushes... which the PC does... a speed control is not a problem at all. Get a cheap one from Eagle or MLCS. I note that even Harbor Freight sells one now. But the one I got from MLCS is just fine... although I use it on a PC oscillating drum sander.

llucas

luke
Senior User
John
Thanks for this info...I know I am on the edge with HP, but I am trying to not buy another router (I have 3 now...and will likely give myself a b'day present of a Triton 3 1/4 next summer. For now I am just teaching myself about panels and know I need to be careful with speed...and I will only use it on a router table with light passes and slow the speed accordingly.
Thanks for your help.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I've used my PC690 to make a lot of raised panels with a speed contoller (I have a variable speed now but my original is a single speed). With a large bit I ran at about half speed and made a total of a bout 4 passes. It depends some on your wood, however. It will definitely do it. I made raised panels mostly in oak or, for painted doors, MDF. I have a little more powerful motor in my main router table now but it is old and not variable speed so I still use a controller for cuts with oversized bits.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS