Help with re saw

Andy E.

New User
Andy
I have some 2 inch square poplar that I need to cut by re saw method and my band saw is not set up for re saw, wondering if anyone in the Durham area could help me with this? I have 4 of them that will need to be cut in half
of course the long way. Thanks in advance for any help at all.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Andy E. What do you mean by "my band saw is not set up for re saw"
If you clamp a strait block of wood or aluminum ont he table of you BS the correct distance away form the blade, you should be able to resaw your poplar... (maybe your blade is too small? GREAT excuse to buy a thicker blade!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know the blade is too small, but its rare that I do something like this. Thanks for the advice, appreciated.
Gotcha, I am sure someone in the Durham area will pipe in to help you!

Andy E.

New User
Andy
I have tried this with my current blade and I think because its too small it wont stay straight. Even using the fence system.

Andy E.

New User
Andy
So basically I have a 12 Delta band saw, looking for advice to try and get a blade for it to handle my resaw job. I have a 1/4 blade on it now. Where is a good place to purchase one, either online or in person and
recommendations, thanks !

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I'm a long way up, but you are welcome to use mine.
So basically I have a 12 Delta band saw, looking for advice to try and get a blade for it to handle my resaw job. I have a 1/4 blade on it now. Where is a good place to purchase one, either online or in person and

sawblades.com

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wanted to recommend woodcraft bands, but I know John sold the business to Union Grove Saw and knife. www.sawandknife.com
Here is a link where they introduced themselves:
Union Grove Saw & Knife

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
I just purchased a set of five bandsaw blades from Union Grove Saw & Knife and heartily recommend them as the successor to Woodcraft Bands. The same fellow who did the band welding for John is doing the welding for Union Grove and the new bands are as nice as those I used to purchase from John. Great customer service, also.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just purchased a set of five bandsaw blades from Union Grove Saw & Knife and heartily recommend them as the successor to Woodcraft Bands. The same fellow who did the band welding for John is doing the welding for Union Grove and the new bands are as nice as those I used to purchase from John. Great customer service, also.
Thanks for the recommendation Rush, I know John was good and have yet to work with Union Grove Saw & Knife but yours is not the first good experience with them!

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
For resawing that size I just make two passes on my table saw, once from each side so the cut meets/overlaps in the middle. Quick and easy without a band saw.

For resawing thicker material I frequently do the same, cutting as deep into the wood as my table saw will allow, and then finishing the cut with my band saw. The table saw cuts keep the band saw blade running more true, so a perfect resaw setup on the bandsaw isn't really necessary.

Both methods work really well for me, although I have taken the time to get my 18" bandsaw tuned well enough for resawing a few times, it usually just isn't worth it for just one board.

Charley

Andy E.

New User
Andy
For resawing that size I just make two passes on my table saw, once from each side so the cut meets/overlaps in the middle. Quick and easy without a band saw.

For resawing thicker material I frequently do the same, cutting as deep into the wood as my table saw will allow, and then finishing the cut with my band saw. The table saw cuts keep the band saw blade running more true, so a perfect resaw setup on the bandsaw isn't really necessary.

Both methods work really well for me, although I have taken the time to get my 18" bandsaw tuned well enough for resawing a few times, it usually just isn't worth it for just one board.

Charley

Thanks for the idea Charly, but with what I need to do I need to stop the cut about halfway down the board. Its kinda of an odd project I'm doing.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I’m in North Raleigh and pretty convenient to most parts of Durham (Creedmoor/Norwood Road intersection if you want to get an idea of travel time). Happy to let you use my BS to get that done. Just let me know if you don’t find anyone closer.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS