Help with identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
Looks a bit like walnut; however, it is not!
I dunno what this is, can anyone help here?

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I don't know, but it looks good enough to make something special out of.

It's got the color of Koa, but the grain structure doesn't look like any koa that I've seen.

Charley

JohnW

New User
John
In the pic, is the wood dry & natural or finished? Did you wipe it with mineral oil before picture? If it's natural, I'd guess canary wood.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
It looks red/orange to me in the pics and the grain looks like Padauk. Matt if your going to be up in the Indian Trail area stop by my shop and I can confirm. PM me if your interested and I'll send you directions.
Rob

cptully

New User
Chris
Matt,

I am slowly working through Bruce Haodley's "Identifying Wood" book. If you can spare a small (2x3x1 or there abouts piece), I'll be happy to work through the identification steps and pass along the results.

As for all others, if you have known or unknown pieces of domestic or exotic woods, and are willing to share a small piece, I'd love to build a library of tested samples. Of course I will share any identifications I make with the donor and will share the entire library at group events. Any size piece is great but as mentioned above a 2x3x1 piece is small enough to spare (I hope) and plenty big enough to see both gross (visible to the eye) and microscopic features that uniquely identify individual woods.

Chris Tully

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
Yep - definitely canarywood. Probably should have figured this one out myself, but I don't use much of it and guess I had a brain-block! Thanks all for your inputs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS