Help please. Anyone have a spiral cutter jointer near Hillsborough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi Everyone,

I have a guitar neck blank laminated and almost straight, but the headstock portion that is scarf jointed on is about 1/32 of an inch back. The rest is straight.

I can't cut the hardwood laminate well on my baby jointer. It vibrates and and if I put down pressure it cuts so slow it either bogs the motor or burns the wood which could make it tough to glue on the fingerboard. And that's trying to take off Dust with the blades sharp.

I did get it close and was hoping somebody might have a spiral head jointer that we could run the blank down a couple of times. It's about 36" long. The first few inches are the 4" wide walnut headstock blank. The rest is 2 1/2" wide laminate of jatoba, purple heart, and maple, with a bubinga center.

There's no rush, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
No spiral head, but I do have an 8" jointer that has a good set of blades in it and was tuned up recently. Additionally have a wide drum sander to sand with as well. Welcome to come over, but I am in Wake Forest.

Toddler

New User
Todd
You guys are great.

Alan, I'm jealous.

Travis, jealous of you two, and may take you up on that despite the drive.

My jointer is a 6" wide, 30+ year old craftsman with a 12" infeed table.

I wrote spiral head because I was thinking I didn't want to dull anybodies jointer blades. It later occured to me that a couple of 1/32" or thinner passes of a 2 1/2" by 36" piece of wood shouldn't really do that. That's true, isn't it?

Todd

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I am about to turn the 'teeth' in my 8" Yorkcraft/Byrd head jointer....(and have a full extra set, too) You would be welcome to use it, but the drive to Fayetteville/Hope Mills area can be rather long, also.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Thanks Pete,
I mapquested everyone, and Wake is only a 45min drive :icon_thum so I think I'll pester Travis fairly soon. But I do appreciate you and Alan offering help too!
Todd

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Todd, I'm in New Hill (just south of Highway 64 by Jordan Lake), and you're welcome to stop by and use this little guy: (16" spiral cutterhead 7.5HP jointer). According to Mapquest, I'm about 33 miles from Hillsborough. Regards, Scott

Attachments

• Jointer.jpg
    Jointer.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 177

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Sorry Todd, I'm right around the corner but sadly :-( don't have a jointer (a poet and didn't know it ;-)). Good luck.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Gee, it only weighs 3/4 of a ton... I think that if I ever need to move it, I'll just invite Dozer and Ivey over - they can probably each pick up one end and walk around with it! :lol:

Toddler

New User
Todd
8-O
Holly Cow, Scott, I think you could scare the neck blank straight with that thing.

You wouldn't happen to ever be around during the day, weekdays, would you?

Todd

nelsone

New User
Ed
Todd, it doesn't sound like you need to remove much material. Can't you just use a card scrapper?

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Todd,
No spiral cutter head, just a regular 12" jointer. But for 1/32", would a wide belt not do better... and I have one of those.
I am in Rougemont ( actaully a bit outside), fairly close to Hillsborough. I will be out of town, back on the 18th. If you can wait that long, you are most welcome to stop by.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Toddler

New User
Todd
Bernhard,

I have no idea, :eusa_thin I don't know what a wide belt sander does. Does it make edges as straight as a jointer? I'll honestly go with anything that works.

When I put my 24" straight edge on the face of this neck blank, the last 4 or 5" is not straight. It angles back so there's a gap that's just under 1mm by the very end of the neck blank. The other 29 or 30 inches are close to perfect.

Is a jointer the wrong tool?

Todd

sapwood

New User
Roger
Whew, tough choices Todd!
A trip to Scott's, Bernhard's, or Travis' shop could be overwhelming 8-O
Did notice a cooler by Scott's Grizzly Carrier - wonder what's in it :drunken_s

Roger

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Whew, tough choices Todd!
A trip to Scott's, Bernhard's, or Travis' shop could be overwhelming 8-O
Did notice a cooler by Scott's Grizzly Carrier - wonder what's in it :drunken_s

Roger
Probably hydraulic fluid for a hydraulic lunch.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Todd, yes I'm around most days.

Roger, I keep Shiner Boch's in stock - about one degree above freezing... sure taste good after doing a visual inspection inside the kiln when it's 120F and 80% RH!

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Bernhard,

I have no idea, :eusa_thin I don't know what a wide belt sander does. Does it make edges as straight as a jointer? I'll honestly go with anything that works.

When I put my 24" straight edge on the face of this neck blank, the last 4 or 5" is not straight. It angles back so there's a gap that's just under 1mm by the very end of the neck blank. The other 29 or 30 inches are close to perfect.

Is a jointer the wrong tool?

Todd

Wide belt works more like a planer, taking material of parallel. If it is not straight, needs jointing first.. or placed on a jig and run through wide belt.
Either way, shouldn't be a problem.
I am bag wekend of the 18th of Aug.... if you can wait that long.
Cheers,
Bernhard

OriginalChong

New User
Al
Todd, I'm in New Hill (just south of Highway 64 by Jordan Lake), and you're welcome to stop by and use this little guy: (16" spiral cutterhead 7.5HP jointer). According to Mapquest, I'm about 33 miles from Hillsborough. Regards, Scott

Scott,
This thing is beautiful. :crybaby2:. Do you get complaints from the Navy a lot? Does it confuse the radar for Naval Pilots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS