Help! Lathe Won't Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Help! :crybaby2:

Last night I was in the process of turning out another pen. I stopped the lathe to grab some more sandpaper and when I turned back around it wouldn't turn on.

I thought it might be overheated, or something, so I let it sit all night but still nothing.

Has this ever happened to you before? Is there a secret to getting it back on -- or is it broken? :cry:

Delta_14_Cast_Iron_Lathe_46-715-resized200.jpg

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
check the breaker.
check the plug.
check the cord.
look to see if there is a reset button on the motor.
try spinning up by hand [carefully ]
does it hum? or nothing?
blow out the motor and the switch.
the switches that delta uses seem to be huge dust collectors.:)
thats all i can think of right now.

fred p

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Electrical troubleshooting: Is it still plugged in, Is the fuse/breaker ON, Cycle the On/Off switch, ChecK and see if the over load thermostat breaker on the motor needs manually resetting---a button on the motor--push in hard, If you have a voltmeter see if voltage is getting to the motor from the switch--may have to open a plate on the motor for this.

If there is voltage at the motor and it's not running it's something in the motor. On/Off switches can fail--unplug the power and open it up and fix it---it's just a mechanical thing. Substitute a 20 A rated wall switch.
Unplug power and check all electrical connections for looseness/corosion----even the moulded power cord plug--need an Ohm meter for this.

Just raced these off as I thought of them, the're not in the best of order but it gives you something to try.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Will you be around today (Sunday). I can grab my meter and come over if you're still having problems.

pete

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Got it! It would appear the switch went ...

I've installed a new switch and it appears we're good! I'll post a pic later!

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS!

MikeH

New User
Mike
Glad you figured it out Jeremy, but it sure looks funny with a light switch on there. :-D

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
It does look a bit silly, I suppose. However, I think it is easier to use than the stock one -- which is an unexpected bonus!

toolman

New User
Chad
It saved you some $$$$$. :eusa_danc Now you can take your savings and get some pen supplies.. :rolf: :slap:

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Seems to me that code requires a different switch for motor controls. I know it works and that should be fine. I hope you put in the "heavy duty" version of a light switch. Usually they cost around $3-4 vs 59 cents. Toggle switches are notorious for going bad with high inrush current loads. Anyone care to shed more "light" :) on this than I can?

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Failure of a switch will depend on the current running through it. It would have to do with the size of the contacts and the actual metal. The motor in question might be 3/4 or 1HP, which at 120VAC is from 10 to 15A. My choice for a wall switch for this service would be a 20A double poll switch. How long would it run? Hard for me to say but it would run for awhile. A cheap wall switch might have small contacts and poor wiping area for an inductive load like a motor and therefore weld on the high current inrush. It could also heat up during operation and burn the contact which could open or get to hot and start a fire. This would stink first and you would know it---pull the plug.

Most switches or relays have limited life to their contacts, that's why motor start relays have replaceable contacts. My 1981 contractor saw was supplied with a simple 15A toggle switch. Lately it has been sticking On and takes a few cycles to get it off. 26 years is pretty good service. The newer switch on the Lathe in question failed earlier.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I was wondering about that ...

I'll check the hardware store for some better switches to see what's available. The one I used was an "extra" from our house and it likely the cheapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS