Help!!! Finish is Peeling.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejones

New User
Dave
The finish on my Mahogany front door is peeling :wsad:. The house is 2 years old, and the door has not been abused in any way (no kids!). Seems to me like this is just due to exposure to the weather, or possibly it was not finished well to begin with.

I wanted to show this to the experts and get some advice on how best to fix it. Any particual type of finish that would be best for this application?

Thanks in advance!

DaveO

New User
DaveO

davejones

New User
Dave
Thanks for the quick reply! I will look into the marine varnish.

BTW, were you able to see the images I inserted? They don't show up for me.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
It almost looks like moisture got under the finish and has just lifted the protective coat!!!:gar-Ma:

Posting your pics here, Dave

Peeling_1.JPG

Peeling_2.JPG

Peeling_3.JPG

I am no finishing expert, But I am confident that one of our experts will offer some sound advice!

Good Luck

Wayne

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
If you used a big box brand urethane or poly varnish, you were lucky to get as long as you did. Urethane is very susceptable to degradation due to UV exposure.

If you want to use a clear varnish for your door, go to a marine supplier and get a true marine varnish. Look for brands like Pettit, Interlux, Wolsey or, best of all, Epifanes. They are expensive but do the best job. Pay attention to the number of coats required.

Also, understand that any clear finish will deteriorate over time. The UV inhibitors are destroyed as they absorb the UV. The finish will begin to become foggy at which time you need to sand the surface with 220 paper and apply a couple of more coats.

For an alternate solution, go here:
www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?p=136718#poststop

At this point, your best option is to use a chemical stripper containing methylene chloride to remove the existing finish. Be sure to completely seal all the edges of the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS