Hello from NW Arkansas

Larry C

New User
Larry
Long time sawyer, woodworker, and woodturner living on a small acreage overlooking Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas. Active member of the Stateline Woodturners in Rogers Arkansas. Also do a bit of mentoring for woodturning and flatwork. At 75 I'm still eager to learn new stuff so that's why I joined this forum.
Larry

IMG_0963.jpgDSC_6629.JPGlarry-copas-stools-2023.JPG

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Wooo Pig Soooie. I was born and raised in Cammack Village, which has been swallowed up by Little Rock since I lived there. I too am 75 and now live in the mountains of Western North Carolina. I make extra efforts to work with local woods--white oak, red oak, walnut, maple, and eastern white pine. Are you sourcing most of your trunks from your own property? BTW your photography is jury quality; looks like you have some sort of studio set up.

Larry C

New User
Larry
Are you sourcing most of your trunks from your own property? BTW your photography is jury quality; looks like you have some sort of studio set up.
I get some logs from my property. Had a 36" white oak die last year which provided me with a few hundred foot of good quartersawn stock. Sometimes buy logs if cheap and get others from storm damage or tree service guys.

I have a quasi photo studio set up. In a spare bedroom I have a roll of photo paper on a pipe attached to a wall. Pull the paper down for my backdrop. Lights are just common daylight bulbs.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Wooo Pig Soooie. I was born and raised in Cammack Village, which has been swallowed up by Little Rock since I lived there. I too am 75 and now live in the mountains of Western North Carolina. I make extra efforts to work with local woods--white oak, red oak, walnut, maple, and eastern white pine. Are you sourcing most of your trunks from your own property? BTW your photography is jury quality; looks like you have some sort of studio set up.
I was also born and raised just outside of LR. Glad to know I’m not the only one who made it east.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Welcome to the group. Just thinking about Arkansas makes me hungry for some of that farm raised catfish from that part of the country.

Larry C

New User
Larry
Welcom, so do we now have an Osage Orange connection?
Not really. I had a lot when I lived in NW Missouri but there is not so much here in the Ozark mountains. Folks here would not know what I'm talking about if I said osage orange. They call it bodark.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Not really. I had a lot when I lived in NW Missouri but there is not so much here in the Ozark mountains. Folks here would not know what I'm talking about if I said osage orange. They call it bodark.
That's bois d'arc, French for bow wood, for folks who grew up where it grows. Its other common name is osage orange. It's a dense hardwood with springiness in it good for tool handles, and it burns really hot.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS