Hello from Hendersonville

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmerrill

New User
Tim
I just heard about your group at Klingspor's Woodworking Show in Hickory this past weekend. Very impressed and it was an easy decision to join.

I have enjoyed woodworking as a lifelong hobby, making mostly furniture for family and friends. Over the years I have built up a nice shop full of tools, including a ShopBot CNC router that I purchased about 4 years ago. Since retiring from the full time 'rat race', I have been concentrating on some home renovation projects and have started exploring how I can market and sell a few items to help pay for the hobby.

I look forward to meeting and talking with some of my fellow woodworkers.

Thanks,

Tim

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Tim! This is the best WWing site on the whole WWW:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc! Everyone is always always willing to help:icon_thum.
If you have been lurking around, you know by now, that "No pics means it didn't happen or doesn't exist":slap:.
Be sure to post some pictures of your work and shop, so we can drool and toss some "suckage" your way.
Don't hesitate to jump in with questions or suggestions! I didn't hesitate to ask questions, since I'm a newbie to WWing:-?>
Take care,

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Welcome Tim:

If nothing else came from it but some NC Woodworkers finding us, then I wouls till call the Klingspor show a success!

Doug

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome Tim. I'm sure you'll enjoy the website. Please feel free to join in on posts or to post questions. All input is welcome. Good luck and we hope to hear from you soon.

I have to agree with Doug, the show seems to have done good to help out membership.

Jimmy:)

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Tim theres a great group of folks here. Dont forget we like pics.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Welcome Tim. Good to have more Hendersonville woodworkers. There is a local club associated with the web site and we meet the first Sat of the month(this weekend). See www.wncwa.org Rob Payne (McRabbit) is the leader.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Tim, I am really glad you could join us. Now we need to see some pictures of your shop and ShopBot :icon_thum
I look forward to your input in the forums.
Dave:)

tmerrill

New User
Tim
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

I got the message that pictures are important and have posted some in the members gallery. I will have to take some of the shop.

Thanks again,

Tim

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome Tim from a former WNC resident!
Excellent work on your furniture pieces and very impressed with your finishing skills. Tell us about how you get that mirror finish. Great [strike]carving[/strike] errr...Shopbotting. Almost qualifies as cheating!:lol:
Mark

tmerrill

New User
Tim
Excellent point about the ShopBot. I bought it mainly because I have NO carving skills.

I try to be careful when I show a carved piece to say it was done by a machine - not to keep saying it was done on a ShopBot, but to respect those of you who can take a blank piece of wood and carve a beautiful image.

As for the finish technique, I use shellac almost exclusively, which, in my opinion, gives a beautiful finish on my two favorite woods - cherry and walnut.

Here is my technique in a nutshell:

Preparation is the key. I normally pass everything thru my drum sander to 120 grit, then sand to 220 to 320 grit.

Apply one or two coats of boiled linseed oil and let dry 24-48 hours.
Apply 4 to 6 coats of 1 lb cut dewaxed shellac. I use Zinsser's Seal Coat. Sounds excessive, but drys so fast you can apply all the coats in a few hours.
Sand with 320 grit sandpaper or superfine steelwool.
Apply 2 to 6 coats of 2 lb cut shellac. For me, that's Zinsser's Seal Coat as it comes out of the can.
I hand sand between every two coats with either 320 grit sandpaper or superfine steelwool. Also take the time to even out any grain problems using glaze.
After the last coat, I may wet sand with 320 or 400 grit sandpaper.

Depending on the piece, at this point I may apply wax or apply a protective layer of spray laquer - normally using one of the Deft products. I've never had a problem applying laquer over the shellac.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Excellent point about the ShopBot. I bought it mainly because I have NO carving skills.

I try to be careful when I show a carved piece to say it was done by a machine - not to keep saying it was done on a ShopBot, but to respect those of you who can take a blank piece of wood and carve a beautiful image.

As for the finish technique, I use shellac almost exclusively, which, in my opinion, gives a beautiful finish on my two favorite woods - cherry and walnut.

Here is my technique in a nutshell:

Preparation is the key. I normally pass everything thru my drum sander to 120 grit, then sand to 220 to 320 grit.

Apply one or two coats of boiled linseed oil and let dry 24-48 hours.
Apply 4 to 6 coats of 1 lb cut dewaxed shellac. I use Zinsser's Seal Coat. Sounds excessive, but drys so fast you can apply all the coats in a few hours.
Sand with 320 grit sandpaper or superfine steelwool.
Apply 2 to 6 coats of 2 lb cut shellac. For me, that's Zinsser's Seal Coat as it comes out of the can.
I hand sand between every two coats with either 320 grit sandpaper or superfine steelwool. Also take the time to even out any grain problems using glaze.
After the last coat, I may wet sand with 320 or 400 grit sandpaper.

Depending on the piece, at this point I may apply wax or apply a protective layer of spray laquer - normally using one of the Deft products. I've never had a problem applying laquer over the shellac.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Hey Tim That sounds pretty good do you have any pictures you can share with all of us? Oh and Welcome.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Welcome, friend. You'll find the folks on here to be the best group of wood butchers you'll ever meet. (Or not meet!) Take it from me, no question too elementary or complicated for this crowd. You WILL get a response.

Get out the camera, visit often, and again, Welcome!

M

McRabbet

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the site from a fellow resident of Hendersonville, aka McRabbet. We're happy to have you here and are glad that you've found the website. Earlier this evening, I sent you an e-mail to invite you to the next meeting of the Western NC Woodworkers Association, a group of woodworkers from this area of the state. We're having a BBQ and Tool Swap (and/or wood swap if you prefer) this coming Saturday in Fairview at the Spring Mountain Community Center on Old Fort Road. Go to the club's website at www.wncwa.org for a map and more information. We'd love to have you join us as a guest, but be kind enough to respond to me if you plan to come (we want to be sure to have enough food and drink!).

I'll be anxious to hear more about you ShopBot (ironically, I lived about 1 mile from their home base in Durham before we moved here in 2004) and your other shop creations -- I loved the pics in your gallery!

Looking forward to meeting you.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Tim,

Glad you decided to join us. It's always good to have another woodworker in the group. I'm looking forward to loads of photos.

Ray

MikeH

New User
Mike
Welcome to NCWW Tim! :eusa_danc We're glad to have you and we'd love to see pics of your projects and shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors