Hello from a new transplant

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Douglas Robinson said:
I like it a lot. It takes some getting used to as far as applying the sand paper and I highly recommend reading the manual COMPLETELY before using it. I got mine from a woodworker in VA who barely used it. He was selling his tools due to Parkinsons. I was sad for him, but he was happy to see it go to someone who would use and enjoy it.

Thanks Doug, mostly I hear that people don't like the cantilever action on principle, but I have not heard specifics about inaccuracies.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Re: Thanks for the welcome

Douglas Robinson said:
Thankfully, I have most of the tools I need right now. Including:

Delta 14” Bandsaw
Jet Cabinet Saw
Jet Floor Drill Press
Powermatic Model 54 Joiner
Performax 16-32 Drum Sander
Makita 12” Planer
Dewalt 12” Compound Miter Saw DW708
Jet Oscillating Spindle Sander
Dewalt Air Cleaner
Penn State Vacuum
Delta Mortiser
Porter Cable Belt Sander
Porter Cable rotating Sander
Porter Cable 557 Biscuit Joiner
Porter Cable 7539 Router
Hitachi M12 Router
Dewalt DW615 Router
Festool ROS RO 150 E PLUS
Festool Jigsaw PS 300 EQ
Festool CT22 Vacuum
Black & Decker Jig Saw
Skil Circular Saw
Black and Decker Cordless drill
Makita Corded Drill
Paslode Nail gun
Leigh D4 Dovetail Jig
Tormek Sharpening System and accessories
Turbinaire 1235 HVLP Sprayer

Plus hand tools, clamps workbench, etc..

I intend to get a Cyclone Dust Collector (hopefully a dust gorilla) at some point.

I need to build a wall in the garage. I will put a door in the wall with an AC opening above the door and thus will only open the garage door on nice days or to get suppies in and projects out. After installing the electrical wiring, I intend to cover all the walls with wood and attach cabinets using cleats. I have some cabinets I already made, but will be building the rest on site. Since floor space is limited I intend to use the full heigh of the walls for storage.

I will have a before shot next week, when we move-in. Of course the weather is forecast as 91+ F for next week:crybaby2:

Once again thanks for the welcome. I am thinking of joining the TWA. I read the July news letter and my wife said go for it.

Doug,

TWA might be a real good idea for you... from the abovementioned list of tools... which sounds like you're better equipped than Norm Abram's shop... The next speaking topic is on furniture design. There's a lot of overlap between organizations. The TWA does encourage visitors at the meetings. Why not attend the meeting and get to meet a number of the NCWW folks.

Ray

timsparents

New User
Roger Goldman
Re: Thanks for the welcome

David - noticed your question about the Performax 16-32 rotary sander. I've owned a Performax 22-44 for about 8 years now, and love it. The cantilever part has never been a problem for me. In fact, when I calibrate it (only necessarily occasionally) I can get it to within 1/64" to 1/128" or closer from one side of a 21-1/2" panel to the other. That is as accurate as I need! It is also great for putting a smoothe surface on bandsawn very thin veneers, using a substrate so as to not sand the drive surface. Hope this helps.
Roger

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Hi Doug,
Welcome to NC and the Sawdust Pile of the NC Woodworkers. We love to have new talent on board and hope your shop gets up soon. I too am in the last stages of my shop a 20' x 20'. Been along haul! Good luck on it and stay in touch with us. Pictures, Pictures Pictures in the sawdust pile! Terry:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors