hello all new member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
hello, im dave. I'm a self employed carpenter and have recently partnered up with a buddy in portable sawmilling. was told of site from a customer purchasing some sawn lumber. look forward to learning more, along with maybe adding some knowledge also!

about to build my first home, which also will be my own house! 8-O

looking for any good recommendations and a good planer to handle rough sawn lumber in big amount! favoring a jet!

thanks dave

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi Dave, and welcome to the forum.

Re planing rough-sawn lumber, if you're looking at doing it in volume for your milling business, you're going to need a real workhorse that can easily plane 3/8" in a single pass on wide boards. I don't think that Jet has anything like that.

I use an extreme duty 7.5HP 3phase Grizzly, and personally I think that it's light duty for planing large volumes of RS. Look for one of the old "heavy iron" planers that are designed for production; you can stumble across them on many of the national woodworking forums from time to time.

Regards,

Scott

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Dave, it's great to have you here. We can never have enough sawyers on the site...helps to feed the wood addiction :-D Congrats to the start of your new house, that will be an experience that you will never forget, and a constant source of pride.
You might consider looking into some of the larger planers from Grizzly. Like this one with a spiral indexable carbide insert head (long lasting and easy to change as needed) - http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1021X

See you around!!

Dave:)

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Dave.

Good luck on the house I have never built a house but have done some remodeling and 2 additions on my previous and current house and know what kind of jobs those were. Post some pics showing your progress.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
^
Take Mr. Smith's advice. I would suggest you find an "older" powermatic -16 or 18". They are built to run all day and can take a good cut in rough lumber. If your are going to plane rough lumber "in a big amount" you will need a heavy well made planer. I would go at least 16" if you can swing it. - my .02 cents.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the dust pile, Dave -- glad to have you with us. Must agree with Scott on finding a bigger planer -- if you have 3-phase power, larger units come up on IRS Auctions or Ex-Factory for used equipment.

Rob

b4man

New User
Barbara
Welcome Dave! You're in some mighty fine milling company here. Good luck in your home building endeavor and your search for a good planer.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Dave, one other comment that I forgot earlier... you will need a MONGO chip extraction system to handle the volume of shavings coming off of a high-volume planer. The biggest problem that I have with mine is the size of the collector - I'm running a 2hp Grizzly dust collector and will fill it and a 30 gallon trash can in 10 - 15 minutes when running a large volume of RC through the planer. Continually starting and stopping to empty the collection bins leaves a lot to be desired...

When I build the permanent shop I think that I'll try to come up with a system to dump the chips outside, directly into a manure spreader so something.

Scott

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Dave, one other comment that I forgot earlier... you will need a MONGO chip extraction system to handle the volume of shavings coming off of a high-volume planer. The biggest problem that I have with mine is the size of the collector - I'm running a 2hp Grizzly dust collector and will fill it and a 30 gallon trash can in 10 - 15 minutes when running a large volume of RC through the planer. Continually starting and stopping to empty the collection bins leaves a lot to be desired...

When I build the permanent shop I think that I'll try to come up with a system to dump the chips outside, directly into a manure spreader so something.

Scott

a shop I have been considering making an offer on uses small, portable, DC as a blower to move chips from the machines to a trailer outside. In my current shop, I have to move them manually to the trailer, outside, one 42 gallon bag at a time. Amazing how quickly that fills up, even with my humble 5 hp 20" planer.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
THanks for the head's up Mike. I'll start w/saying that I'm on this forum because I'm a hobbiest myself. I consider myself a woodpecker at best mostly good a making holes in things.

With regards to your need for a planer, I agree with these guys that you probably won't be happy with 15" taiwanese planer similar to JET or GRIZZLY or whichever importer you choose. My uncle and I planed ever cant for his log cabin with a JET planer and it died a slow painful death throughout the process.

I would look a something with a solid welded steel base, the 15" machine are little more than oversized benchtop units on fabricated or even bolted steel frames. They simply aren't designed to handle rough sawn cants in any capacity. They are good for finish work and will handle small amounts of rough sawn lumber for cabinet or furniture work and do a good job finishing that type of lumber.

I myself have the DEWALT 735 and LOVE it:eusa_clap :eusa_clap , but would never run more than 50 bdf through it at a time.:BangHead: :BangHead:

GRIZZLY equipment is as good as you're willing to pay for. They have planers that will run all day long, but they aren't the cheap ones. I would say the minimum you want to go with would be http://www.grizzly.com/products/G5850Z this model has been around for 20+ years and I've seen a lot of them used that still do a good job. For the difference in the money this one http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9967 is a huge step forward in my humble opinion.

I also invite you to visit my website http://www.factorynew.com/MfgModels.aspx?CatID=PL&MachTypeID=63 to compare new models of different planers together. I work for exfactory and I'm now the manager of the new equipment division www.factorynew.com. For the money we sell some EXTREMA Planers that are a good value and comparable to GRIZZLY. They stock parts in LA and are very good import equipment. You can also source this stuff locally in NC from woodworkers supply their wootek line or leneave supply here in charlotte in their northstate line.

The older cast iron machines are of course "better" depending on who you talk to. They certainly will hold their value better and be giving dependable service for years to come. I will be glad to talk to you about used machines I know of that are coming to the market locally since freight is tough on the used ones.

While I'm at I'll chime in on the chip problems you guys have mentioned. I highly recommend you consider a cyclone to seperate the chips and the feed into a hopper of some sort. I see a lot of shops buy a simple blower
http://www.extremausa.com/dust_blowers.php and cut a hole in the wall and blow out side in a pile or bin. I guess the manure spreader isn't a bad idea either. I'm ticked off :5censored to find out these are on my site, but they will be by tomorrow. ;-) This is a common and great way to transfer material to avoid stopping every 1/2 hr to empty the trash can.

Hope this information helps and I'm always glad and willing to provide free advice. If you give good enough advice people buy from you at some point.

Best regards,

Phil Ashley
phil@factorynew.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors