Hegner 18VS scroll saw review

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
The difference in using the Delta and the Hegner is amazingly HUGE! I stack cut 5 pieces and had virtually no variance between the top and bottom piece. You can run the saw much slower for the tricky areas than with the Delta. There really is no vibration. I was testing that by having the bottom piece of wood in the stack be plywood. Vibration would have broken away pieces of those thin areas.

Speed choices - Hegner can run much slower which can be very handy. You can actually go slow enough to really be able to shave a very thin piece of wood, even out a line you didn't like, etc... My mantra with the Delta was that you could not fix an area on the saw - only make it worse.

Blade changes - the Delta was easier. Changing the blade in the bottom clamp requires a tool on the Hegner. Also the one I bought is an older version that doesn't have the quick tension release. It's not really a problem, just would be a little easier.

Vibration - hands down the Hegner wins. I can saw for hours and not be exhausted from fighting the saw.

Table size - The Delta has a larger table, but the table on the Hegner has not proven to be a problem. I will be using the slicksaw stuff on the table. There are bolts on the right side on the front of the table which holds the blade clamp in place while you change the blades (bottom clamp). I cut a piece to go over top a window or door that is about 17" inches long. The smaller table surface did not pose a problem, but it was kind of weird being that far from the blade.

Air flow for removing sawdust - the Hegner is again the winner. I really thought I liked being able to move the position of the "blower" on the Delta, but I was always trying to find the "sweet" spot, and then having to move it to change the blade. The Hegner's is in the top arm. You can't even tell it's there except that you never have dust on the workpiece.

I have the stand for the Hegner. We haven't bolted it down, though it is made to be able to. I haven't really decided where I want it in the shop.

I still think the Delta was a good place to start for me. I needed to be sure that I enjoyed scrolling before I spent more money on saw. I had decided to buy a Hegner new, so finding at that price and virtually local was quite a treat.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Sound like you have a winner :eusa_danc

Have you tried the DeWalt? I wonder how it compares to the Hegner.

If you ever need a larger table you can just make a frame covered with hardboard to fit over the existing table.

When you try the slicksaw top send an email to Rick at slicksaw.com to let him know what you think. (good or bad). I've been using it for a while now and really like it. It has gotten dinged up a bit but is still pretty slick.

pete

woodguy1975

New User
John
The Hegners and Hawks are night and day different from the Dewalt. The dewalt is a good compromise from a cost perspective, but there is really no comparison.

Good score on the Hegner Cathy! They are the second best scroll out there!!!!!!!!!

:slap::slap::slap::slap:

Just kiddin.

John

cskipper

Cathy
:rotflm: 2nd best??? I have used the DeWalt and do agree that it's a good compromise. I didn't really know how much different it would be and have been very pleasantly surprised. If I only occasionally used a scroll saw I would probably have never bought taken this leap. But since I seem to be spending a lot of time at it, I think it was a great investment.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Cathy, I think I can appreciate how happy you are with the new scroll saw. One never has to regret owning the best, and you will enjoy it every time you turn on the switch. In fact I'll wager you look at it lovingly every time you walk past it.
Roy

sapwood

New User
Roger
Cathy, the thought makes us all grin :mrgreen:
You definitely deserve the Hegner!

Enjoy,
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors