Hefty benchtop bench

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Graham (@J_Graham) gave me an 18" Acme bench vise screw and requested that I use it to make something for someone.

Several months back I posted about a wooden vise that I had used as a teen ( Antique wooden leg vise) where the chop tilt reaction was taken by the bottom of the benchtop. Wanting to implement that notion, I came up with this hefty benchtop bench:
IMG_5117.jpeg

The top is ~12 x 24 x 1-3/4" SYP and 9-1/2" tall so that Gramercy holdfasts can be used.
IMG_5121.jpeg

The hard maple chop opens 12" and there are no guide rods to get in your way.
IMG_5123.jpeg

The vise chop nicely holds items like drawer sides at a convenient height for dovetailing.
IMG_5124.jpeg

A full-width adjustable planing stop is at the far end of the benchtop.
IMG_5125.jpeg

The vise screw is rotated by this combination tommy_bar / ball_bearing spinner.
IMG_5116.jpeg

The previous covers most of the features and next is a view of the upside down benchtop. The hard maple beam is mortised into the chop and presses against the bottom of the benchtop via a bit of black slippery plastic. A brass toilet bolt rides in the blue t-track to keep the beam from sagging.

IMG_5080.jpeg

An upright view of the mechanism from the side.
IMG_5120.jpeg

I made this bench by first laminating the SYP benchtop and then proceeding without a plan figuring out and correcting mistakes as I went. Hopefully there is an idea or two herein that some of you can use. It was a fun project. Holler if you want more detail on any aspect.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing, good information. I think I will try that full width plane (or sanding) stop idea.

Scott H

Scott
User
That looks really nice, looking over this for ideas for sure.

What hardware did you use to attach the adjustable planing stop? I'm considering adding one to my bench.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Well done! Thanks for sharing.
Did you say that you made this for someone?
I bet they are thrilled 👍

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This joint was intended to be a bridle joint until I cut a cheek on the wrong side of the line. It is probably stronger as a spline joint anyhow.
IMG_5137.jpeg

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I’ll post a pic of that end tomorrow for you.

Leather attached with contact adhesive. The main problem is finding an adhesive that works.
My go-to glue is E6000. It's like industrial strength Shoe Goo. It's super sticky, messy to work with, dries flexible, and sticks to any surface. Sticks best with a little pressure but doesn't need pressure to adhere. Available in multiple stores plus Amazon.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
On my morning walk I had the thought that a benchtop bench of this size might be useful in the NCWW trailer. I checked with Richard (@Graywolf ) and he agreed to give it a try.
I delivered this benchtop bench earlier today when I attended the handsaw workshop.
1711852594740.jpeg

Several folk commented on the appearance of its top so here is how I prepared it.

Went to Homer’s and picked a SYP 2x12 with narrow growth rings that was cut just outside the pith. Then marked the center of the growth rings on each end and drew a line between those centers. Crosscut to length plus a little and ripped those boards into two along that line.
1711852493483.jpeg

Jointed the cut edges and ripped 1-3/4” strips which were rotated 1/4 turn and glued up for a 1-3/4” thick benchtop. That thickness was picked for Gramercy holdfasts.
1711853519789.jpeg

jfear

Justin
Corporate Member
Thanks pop-pop for the details on how you did the top. I am going to have to steal that idea.

The bench is is absolutely gorgeous. I may try to make one in the he future.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Thanks pop-pop for the details on how you did the top. I am going to have to steal that idea.
In addition to appearance, this board orientation avoids cathedrals. In my experience, tearout is guaranteed with SYP cathedrals in a benchtop.

Every idea that I post is available for theft. IMO, sharing ideas for others to use is the spirit of NCWW.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS